Is There Any Way To Remove 'the Bulge' After Fondant?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm by __Jamie__

MrsNancyB1 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:23am
post #1 of 5

I just put fondant on a crumb-coated cake, and I probably should have waited longer for it to settle but of course I was impatient and just went ahead with the fondant.

Now I have a bulge around the middle of it. Is there any way to remove the bulge after the fondant is put on? Should I just remove the fondant, smooth out the bulge and start over?

TIA!

4 replies
madgeowens Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:51am
post #2 of 5

I think you have to take the fondant off, but I don't know that you would be able to re use the fondant.

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:58am
post #3 of 5

This might be scary. Put it in the fridge and let it get rock hard. Take it out, and as hard you can press without pushing into the fondant, and without ripping a hole right thru it, go at it with a fondant smoother. Let me say again, with as much pressure as you think it can handle. Rub up, down, side to side, whatever it takes to displace as much as that bulge as you can. As soon as you are done and can't fix it any further, back in the fridge it goes and stays, not removing it until just before delivery, or as last minute as you can stand.

This actually worked for me once. That was the last time I covered without letting it settle and without being hard. icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmm....now, if you have any decos or piping on the side, guess my suggestion wouldn't help you at all, eh?

MrsNancyB1 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks!

Jamie, I actually tried your suggestion at the time I made this post. It was pretty firm, and I kept working it with two fondant smoothers at the same time. It was really not working for me, so I just ripped off that fondant, smoothed out the bulge and covered it again. This time, there was no bulge. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 5

Annnnnd, ripping it off and starting over works too! Lol....glad it worked for ya!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%