Cakes In Left In Car

Decorating By overindulged Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm by overindulged

overindulged Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 13

I am baking 2 cakes for my friend. She needs to drive it about 1 hour away. But needs to be in a meeting in another area for 2 hours. So basically, the cakes will be in the car for 2 1/2 hours. The forecast is 65-70 degrees. Sunny. What should she (we) do?

I am thinking using a cooler with Ice (double bagged and put in a big plastic Gladware to prevent water spills?). I also made Tiramisu for her so that needs to be on ice forsure. (should I get dry ice?)

Also, should we put it in the trunk or in the back seat (where its AC while she's driving)? But what about while the car is not running, and if its sunny, the temp inside the car would be more than 70degrees.

I know most pros would say that the liability of a cake is not yours if they are transporting it, but I am not a business and its for a very personal occasion. icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance.

12 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:57am
post #2 of 13

I would suggest to her that she take the cakes in while she's in the other meeting, if at all possible. Maybe the place she's going has a fridge where she can keep the tiramisu too. 65-70 degrees is not too hot for cake, but it always gets hotter in the car than it is outside.

overindulged Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:12am
post #3 of 13

The meeting is outside. No access to fridge.

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:31am
post #4 of 13

Those cakes are going to melt. Putting them in the trunk is even hotter then the front seat. Persoanlly, I would come back for the cakes. You can try dry ice, but I'll still think they are going to melt.

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:00am
post #5 of 13

And it's not going to be 70 degrees in that car. It will be more like 90 degrees. 80 at the least.

Mensch Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #6 of 13

If the temp outside is 80, it only takes a half an hour to reach 120 inside the car.

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:09am
post #7 of 13

Use a cooler. Have friend lug said cooler out on the lawn to the meeting with her. It will have to be her baby for those 2 hours if she wants them to be in one piece. And pop the lid on the cooler slightly to let moisture escape. And for surely do not seal the cakes up either.

prterrell Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:11am
post #8 of 13

I live 8 hours away from my family and I regularly transport cakes with me all the time. If at all possible, refrigerate the cake for at least 12 hours before starting out. Fill cooler at least 1/3 full of ice over night (this will prime the cooler so that it's already cold when you put in the cakes). Put cakes in coolers with ice packs or ice double bagged in freezer bags. It actually stays cooler in the trunk than in the car, so I would put the cooler(s) in the trunk. I've also transported tiramisu this way with no problems. Remember: cold "falls" so you want the cold packs/ice on top of the cake/tiramisu in addition to the sides. Underneath the cake is not as important, but you want cold packs or ice on all sides of the tiramisu.

overindulged Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you for your replies. The cooler is an option, and we're brainstorming our plan of attack. I am seriously thinking of being a good friend and drive the cake for her. icon_smile.gif

Auryn Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 13

Even with the cooler, I don't know that it will keep the tiramisu cold enough. It might be fine for the other cake, but the tiramisu will get runny. If you do it it definitely needs to stay in a pan with high sides so even if it gets a bit runny it doesnt go all over the place

-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 13

Cannot overestimate the power of testing.

Corrugated cardboard makes great insulation. Wrap that with newspaper and that's some grand and cheap and forgiving insulation.

Stick in a few ice packs wrapped with a paper towel to control condensation and place that in a plastic bag--I wire mine into the sides of the box--I use all butter icing and I can travel with my cakes safe from heat and humidity.

I had purchased some plastic talbecloths at the dollar store to cover the newspaper wrapped boxes but the boxes held the temp so well without all the other I just go with that.

Well traveled cake ideas for you.

Clovers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 13

Also, if you go the cooler route, after everything is in the trunk, wrap the whole thing in a huge blanket (like a comforter). It works as a giant insulator.

I once left a container of ice cream in my car (not even in the trunk), wrapped in just a blanket, parked in the shade in the middle of summer - went somewhere else for hours and the ice cream was still frozen.

overindulged Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #13 of 13

thank you for your ALL of your ideas and sharing your experiences!

Quote by @%username% on %date%