Choco-Pan Fondant

Decorating By kathyanye Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 12:40pm by Loucinda

kathyanye Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:37am
post #1 of 7

does choco-pan fondant get hard like regular fondant? I just made a hat for a Michael Jackson cake and I don't see how I am going to transfer it to the cake.Help! ( I used the choco-pan) and it is so soft. Now what?Thanks!

6 replies
Kellbella Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 7

Good luck... I hat choco pan for that very same reason....it's way too soft for me...I can never get it to release from my mat. I don't know what to tell you sorry...here's a bump!

ceshell Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:48am
post #3 of 7

Regular fondant wouldn't really get properly hard for a hat anyway - generally speaking you would need to add gumtex or tylose to it to facilitate hardening (they also strengthen it). Unless it is a little hat, mind you. How big is it?

kathyanye Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:36am
post #4 of 7

welll,I got the hat made with the choco-pan.The part that covered the body of the hat , the cake part went fine. I was worried about the brim and transferring the whole thing onto the base cake, but my husband helped. and we got it on. I really didn't like working with it though because it shows every little fingerprint and smudge. Thanks for your responses. I think I'll stick to fondant and gumpaste next time. The choco-pan does taste pretty good though..

ceshell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:55am
post #5 of 7

Thx for the update! I was curious; I too was thinking the brim would be the issue. I'd be interested to learn how well tylose or gumtex helps w/chocopan, if you do ever decide to try it again. Can the smudges be rubbed out w/shortening?

kathyanye Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:51am
post #6 of 7

I was able to rub it out with some shortening, it looked a lot better when i was finished. Quite frankly, I never thought of adding some tylose to it, that might have helped. Since it was the first time I had used it. I kinda assumed I wouldn't need it. Oh well,live and learn!

Loucinda Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 7

I don't know of any of the fondants that are on the market that will dry hard. They all will be "flexible" even after they are dry. You would have to mix in tylose no matter which brand you used to make pieces that you want to dry. (I LOVE the taste of the choco-pan!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%