Do I Put Bc Under Ganache?

Decorating By Billabong Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 5:07pm by Caths_Cakes

Billabong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Billabong Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #1 of 9

I was going to cover a cake with ganache, preferably have it harden a little, do I put BC under it or pour it straight on the cake???

8 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #2 of 9

You can whip the ganache into a bc consitency or you can pur the ganache onto the cake and let is set..it will have a nice shine to it!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 9

No, no ganache! I've been reprimanded before icon_wink.gif ... no, seriously, I posted a whole thread about this about a week ago. I had some malfunction on one of my cakes, and ended up with melting fondant pooling on the front of my cake board. Several very smart people answered, including Sharon Zambito (Sugarshack), and warned me to absolutely not pour my ganache over buttercream, saying that ganache would be the crumbcoat itself (and you can keep on coating until you're satisfied). Good luck!

-Emi.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 9

I either crumb coat it with BC first or crumb coat it in slightly set up ganache. If you pour it straight on you'll probably get crumbs and it won't adhere very well.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:59am
post #5 of 9

I've seen Sharon done it. I personally suggest just go straight ganache.

Billabong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Billabong Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:39am
post #6 of 9

Thank you guys! That is what I´ll do tomorrow, just ganache straight through. Crumb-coat with it and then pour some over.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 9

I ALWAYS cover my cakes in a thin coat of american buttercream first. Vanilla or chocolate, whichever you prefer. I then refridgerate the cake for at least 30-40 minutes to let it get cold. Pour the ganache over the cold cake. I NEVER had a problem with the buttercream melting under the ganache.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 9

You do realize ganache is it's own frosting. You have to let is set up to get to frosting consistency, but it IS a frosting. YOu crumcoat with it & go back & frost with it lke any other butter crea, Why on earth would anyone put butter cream underneath first? icon_confused.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 9

Shes talking about a loose ganash glaze, the runny kind rather than a thick frosting consistency. it gives a really smooth polished finish to the cake when set, but you do need a good smooth layer of thick, preferably crusting ganash/buttercream underneath that, otherwise it looks messy.

Its down to prefrence, I have done ganash over ganash this way, and ganash over buttercream this way. The only tip with the buttercream is to let is set and refridgerate for a long time, and make sure your ganash isnt hot when you pour it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%