Fondant & Gumpaste Recipe Question

Decorating By parsonswife Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 3:22am by Texas_Rose

parsonswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parsonswife Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 9

I do not have fondant nor gumpaste here....it has to be purchased in a distant town.
I got a hairbrain idea for a party....and I want fondant and gumpaste decor.
However, all the recipes I've seen here call for 'glucose'. I do not have that....is there another recipe without that, or a close substitution?
Thank you icon_smile.gif
I can get away with the marshmellow fondant...I've made that before, I just couldn't get it stiff....I can cover the cake with the mmf...but the gumpaste...never made it....Help?
I could do all fondant...I just can't get the MMF stiff enough to make bows and other decorations...so any advice on MMF would be great too.

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:41am
post #2 of 9

Do you have some gum-tex or tylose? You'll need that. Wilton sells glucose...it's in a tub and it would be near the gum-tex at the craft store. My favorite gumpaste is Nicholas Lodge's recipe...egg whites, powdered sugar and tylose.

Corn syrup is a substitute for glucose but it's more liquid.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:56am
post #3 of 9

I have a recipe for a gumpaste-like substance that's basically gelatin and powdered sugar. Lemme see if I can find it...

kansaswolf Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:59am
post #4 of 9

Found it! I've used this for flowers a couple times, and liked it pretty well! I used sugar-free cherry-flavored gelatin mix, and it smelled pretty good! I'm sure it'd do better with the unflavored kind, but it seems to be okay either way. Good luck! Here you go!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7204/gum-paste-recipe-no-1

parsonswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parsonswife Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #5 of 9

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:46am
post #6 of 9

You can usually find glucose at the drug store.

kansaswolf Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #7 of 9

All I was ever able to find were glucose suppositories.

Which I'm guessing are not what you mean. icon_lol.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:19am
post #8 of 9

Do you mean glucose or glycerin? Glucose is a very thick corn syrup and glycerin is a sweet vegatable oil. You might be able to use a thick cooking oil to replace the glycerin. This is just a guess. Glycerin gives fondant stretch and pliability. Glucose is pretty hard to find. It's expensive too.

HTH

Michele

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:22am
post #9 of 9

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=707-107

It's not hard to find...they carry it at the craft stores with the other wilton ingredients. It is really messy though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%