Surprise Birthday Cake Challenge!!!

Decorating By CbyA Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 6:58am by Elise87

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 45

Hi all!! who saw Challenge today 9.24.09??? OOOOH MY GOD!!!! did you see Stevie? I don't remember her last name...OMG what a shame, I will never buy a cake from her, NEVER!

44 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 45

It's Stevie Fulmari (although I'm not sure on the spelling). I'm not sure if I have seen the one you are talking about - but she is disasterous in a kitchen. She makes the biggest messes. I looked at her website once.

drummer27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummer27 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 45

I was completely offended by the state of her kitchen. I hope that they made her clean it up! I understand that she wants to do something different and outside the box but that cake was just a disaster from the get go.

gardengazer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gardengazer Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 45

Never mind the filthy kitchen, I just couldn't get what that hideous cake was supposed to be.

brittalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittalicious Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 45

i wish i knew what u guys are talking about haha i wanna seeicon_razz.gif

colleenant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colleenant Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 45

She is absolutely disgusting! I cannot stand that she thinks she has an "alternative vision" that no one else seems to understand. A 2 year old mindset is not artistic vision. I hope I never see her in a challenge again.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 45

I saw it too. It was horrible. There were parts were I got myself sitting there with my mouth open in shock. LOL. I was surprised to see her back. I guess it makes for drama on the show or something. I'm just curious as to why they would want her back. That kitchen looked like a bomb went off. I did love that the productions crew actually did use the fire extinguisher on her cake. That was funny!

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 45

Oh, there's gotta be a link somewhere. I would love to see this!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 45

I think the challenge you're talking about was the one where they made the birthday cake for Kerry Vincent...is that right?

That hideous mess that Stevie called a "cake" was just nothing more than wads of cake mushed into one giant eyesore. I totally get art and the fact that she wants to be different and unique, but I think she's using the term "art" very loosely. Sorry, but there was nothing artistic about that monstrosity. Hubby was watching it with me and when she torched it we both said it would look better burned to the ground.

And oh my goodness...don't EVEN get me started on her kitchen!!!

But you have to know they invited her to this particular challenge for the drama factor given that she and Kerry Vincent never see eye-to-eye. Good move on FoodNetwork's part because there was definitely drama! icon_lol.gif

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 45

I just found this. It's a recap on the cake she made.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 45

Holy Crap! Thanks so sharing the link! I wanted to see this episode so damn bad and for some reason my Tivo shows a different name every time so I miss it! Im so bummed that I missed it again.
I cant believe that someone actually tried to pass that off as a birthday cake! And for Kerry? Are they INSANE? Maybe for a smash cake for a baby of a pyro but Kerry? This is definetly one for the website Cake Wrecks. It definetly "takes the cake" (I know, bad pun), for that website! Ghee, are they really so hard up for contestants that they were begging at the local mall food court?? Maybe they should come on here and see some of the wonderful stuff that some of the CC members put out! I guess the exects were smoking a dubey when they made that decision! And how much you want to make a bet that the janitor screamed and quit after they told him to clean up her kitchen! Cant blame him on that one!

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 45

wow she sure is "out there". I checked out her site (thanks for the link) OMG is all I can say, I clicked on a pic without much thought and good lord icon_eek.gif did I get a shock, it was called coco. She's not my cup of tea but am sure some think she's great.

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 45

I can appreciate her saying its art. Art using cake and sugar as her medium. Edible artist? does it look edible? LOL. She definitely bask on the shock factor of her art. Cake decorator? As a general mainstream consumer, I won't be looking at her cakes for inspiration if I want to order a cake.

brittalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittalicious Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 45

wow that cake is horrible i dont get the art in that one:S

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:23pm
post #15 of 45

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing the link kseevers. OMG! I can't believe what I saw!!! Talk about a train wreck! There is NO way I would want a cake from her. I agree some people probably like that sort of style.....but I'm not one of them. That cake was just an ungodly mess!!! The best thing to happen to it was when it caught on fire lol.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:35pm
post #16 of 45

oh yeah...that was my first thought when I saw the show...I will never buy a cake from her...she is so ridiculous...I can believe someone can be that messy...

Sorry but she is a disaster...her cake was so disgusting...I could not believe she went to participate in this show..I did not know that anyone could participate...

CbyA Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #17 of 45

Where is she from? I just saw her website and her phone number I mean area code is 505, is she from New Mexico? what part? I live here and I never heard from her!!

CbyA Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:06pm
post #18 of 45

I don't even understand her website lol!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #19 of 45

It's her own unique style. I don't think it is right to call her cake hideous, even if you think it is. I sure would feel hurt if someone tells me my cake is hideous--I'm sure I am not the only one who would feel the same. I honestly like the cake; very different and it reminds me of a castle in an enchanted cave.

Also, I believe most of her work in her website are only for design purposes. I mean have you seen those sugar sculptures on TV? I mean who seriously would eat those.

I agree, she did have an attitude. Although she was like that on TV, she is actually really nice and kind person.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:40pm
post #20 of 45

I have to agree with Rylan on this one..even tho i am not the biggest fan of that cake, i think i would cry if someone called my cake hideous.

However! Her kitchen on the other hand was so much more then hideous! I was completley turned off by that and couldnt believe professional would be okay with a kitchen looking like that.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:01pm
post #21 of 45

The only issue I really had was her bowl being on the floor. I think that was disgusting for sanitary reasons. I know that they don't always practice sanitation but that was a little disturbing to me personally. As for the cake it was artistic and very different but not my favorite. Maybe if it were a little cleaner I could have appreciated it better. I honestly could see where she was going with it. Her sketch was amazing. I want to know what Kerry said.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:22pm
post #22 of 45

I cant remember what Kerry said but i do remember her asking her why she joined the challange and she wasnt very nice

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:53am
post #23 of 45

If that was my cake, it wouldn't hurt me at all if people thought it was hideous, because I would agree, I would be first in line saying the same thing.

How do we know Stevie doesn't think it was awful too? She does have eyes, right...I'm kidding icon_lol.gif .

I really dug the original design on paper...I would love to see someone pull it off (just as it was drawn).

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:48am
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Quote:

I cant remember what Kerry said but i do remember her asking her why she joined the challange and she wasnt very nice

Wow, even if everyone else thought it looked horrible I would still be upset by that. I figured she wouldn't like it but sometimes I think she can be a little harsh. I would probably have cried after that.

I've heard of all the behind the scenes work in these challenges and I don't even know how I would feel after going through all that and having my work torn apart. I give all those that have the heart to go through those challenges a thumbs up because it takes a lot to carry out the task and even with great planning there is room for error and things can go wrong big time. Hopefully she was somewhat happy with her final result.

As for the cake getting burned and extinguished, that's a first so at least she brought something new to the show. icon_smile.gif Just joking, please don't hate me.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:05am
post #25 of 45

I've come to rather like her stuff, although I was shocked when I first saw some of it.

I love those vertical lawns for apartment dwellers.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:32am
post #26 of 45

When we first saw this show air a few months ago we were totally appalled, shared her website with everyone as well as the clips we found and didn't find one person who "appreciated" her art...more importantly, no one who would consider eating anything from a kitchen that looked like that. Having said that, I did give her the benefit of the doubt thinking that maybe it was just too stressful to her and she just didn't react well under that kind of pressure but, nope, about a month ago I saw her on another one of the challenges and her project was another crash and burn and her kitchen, if it's possible, was worse. We sat and watched the whole time wondering how they let her on there again! So, artist? Sure thing. I'm sure that there are a lot of people out there who enjoy her point of view, I'm not one of them but hey, art is subjective. However, putting her into these competitions with traditional cake decorators seems unfair to her, making her a drama focal point rather than showcasing her art, and thus removing the focus from the other decorators. It's the bad side of reality tv. For most of us it was like watching a train wreck and, sadly, the other decorators deserved SO much more than to be upstaged by an performance artist who was clearly not there to please her client (she flatly ignored all of Kerry's wishes for a cake) and just there to do her art.

Just my two cents.

Cat

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #27 of 45

Hey gals, after looking at her stuff, this newbie doen't feel to bad at all about some of my creations. I've been a little more than disappointed by some of my stuff (feel free to check it out on here) being new and all, but after seeing Stevies stuff, I feel like a full-blown artist. What crap is that she is trying to pass off as "ART". I have never tried to be critical of anyone's attempt to make anything cake or otherwise, but come on, really. That stuff looks like one of those painters who flicks paint out of a paint brush and calls it art. The sad part is, she probably gets boo coo bucks for creating those trash heaps.

weirkd Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm
post #28 of 45

I think the main point, whether we liked it or not is the fact that she didnt even consider the "customers" feelings. She had to know that Kerry Vincent loves traditional things, flowers, etc. and would no way want something like this for her birthday cake. So if I was someone who was not in the cake business watching the show, I first would of considered that she didnt care for her clients enough to give them something that THEY wanted, not her. And secondly, although their under terrible pressure and stress, I dont consider putting bowls on the floor or having the kitchen looking like it did. To me that would turn me off.
There has been other people on the Challenge that have done the impressionistic type of art (Citizen Cake I think was the name, out of CA, she did a Halloween "cave" that Kerry hated and then on a wedding challenge she did a croquembouche cake. She also had this dessert that was lit on fire on Sugar Rush. So there are people out there that do that sort of thing but they do it in a cleaner manner and not something that looks like my 4 year old put it together.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:26pm
post #29 of 45

Is it proper to personally trash someone on cake central? Several posts aren't just trashing her work, but her personally.
Would you like it if we chose someone who belonged to this site, and did the same thing?

I do believe it is against the rules.

weirkd Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm
post #30 of 45

Really? I didnt know that if you voiced your opinion on whether you like something or not was against the rules. I didnt see any posts that were trashing her, herself. Just her work and her kitchen.
I apologize if anyone thought any of my posts were personally attacking HER. I just dont like that type of art and the way she kept her kitchen. Im not sure if it was the challenge or the fact that she always keeps it that way. I dont know her personaly so I cant judge her on that. I can only voice my opinion from what I saw on the show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%