Monster Truck Cake

Decorating By galliesway Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 3:58am by overindulged

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 3

I need help!!! My ss asked if I would make my nephew a 3-D monster cake for his birthday in two weeks. I have never made a carved cake ever. Any help including instructions and or pictures would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

2 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:10am
post #2 of 3

I have only done one truck cake and I don't believe I posted it either. But there are some very nice cakes her. 2 weeks is plenty of time but you should start to get some of your work done now, like decide what the tires will be made of. Depending on what style you can start to mold the grill, or any other figures, etc.

Bake your cakes at the beginning of the week that you need to have the cake delivered. Crumb coat about 2 days out and the nite before you can work on the fondant and decorating.

It should be quite cute. Good luck.

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:58am
post #3 of 3

Some people used loaf pans. Some used the 3D wilton car pan. I needed a bigger cake so I used 3 layers of 1/4 sheet cakes.

I'm a rookie baker but this is how I did a monster truck cake:

Thursday I baked the cakes. I read that frozen cakes carve better, so I put the cakes in the freezer.

Friday afternoon, I stacked the frozen cakes, then carved (I can eyeball pretty well, I had pictures of the Gravedigger--monster truck all over my kitchen walls for inspiration). The cake thawed as I carved. I then filled the cakes, then crumbcoated.

Then (after my 2 yo went to bed) I covered it with black fondant and decorated the cake. I ran out of time and used doughnuts for wheels.

In hindsight I would have done some things different: frosting and fondant will add dimension (width) to your cake, Mine ended up fatter. I would have used RKT and covered it with fondant for wheels. I would also have lifted the cake 1 1/2"-2" off the cake board. Since I ran out of time, I just plopped the body of the truck onto the cakeboard and cut the wheels so it looked like the tires were stuck in the dirt (graham cracker crumbs).
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2609/3766178912_68497e5b23_m.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2518/3766182138_e9965c921b.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%