Exactly..how To Paint On Fondant?

Decorating By deld Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 1:19am by deld

deld Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:07am
post #1 of 8

Im not a pro, and I would like to know exactly what you wonderful ladies use to paint straight on fondant, to achieve that shiny color, I am making a "flower pot" cake this week and I would like to paint the orange straight on the fondant to give it a more realistic feel.

7 replies
tinygoose Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:16am
post #2 of 8

Deb_ Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:20am
post #3 of 8

I use a little bit of vodka mixed with gel colors. The vodka will help the gels dry.

I painted my teapot cake using this method

confectioneista Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:25am
post #4 of 8

You can also use real lemon extract, since it's mostly alcohol. It dries fast, too.

adree313 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:26am
post #5 of 8

vodka is the best to use because it evaporates so quickly, but you can use clear extracts, too. i'm not of legal drinking age, so i just use clear vanilla extract for now. it doesn't evaporate as quickly, but much, much better than just mixing with water (that'll take forever to dry, if it even does).

cownsj Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #6 of 8

I put just a small amount of clear vanilla in the bottom of a bowl, not enough to cover the entire bottom. Then I put a glob of color off to the side and using my brush I pull in as much color as I think I'll need for the area I'm painting. I don't like to mix the color in because I want it to be all one shade and density of color. You can always add in more color if you need it, or use a paper towel to wipe off if you added too much color. You'll get a feel for your project almost immediately and know how much you want to mix in. It's scary until you do it. You'll be surprised how quickly you get the hang of it.

CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:47am
post #7 of 8

I use liquid airbrush color or vodka mixed with color/dust. The most important thing when painting a large surface one color is not to go over the painted surface (like with a second coat) until the first coat is completely dried. Otherwise you will pull the color up as you go. HTH

deld Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:19am
post #8 of 8

great, thanks for all the advice! I will give it a try tomorrow icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%