What's Your Least Favorite Thing To Do?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm by MrsMabe

ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:02pm
post #31 of 58

Leveling and the cleaning up, especially washing all those icing tips that have been used with buttercream & putting away of all my cake stuff, only to have to drag it back out in a few days...I need a bigger kitchen and one with a dishwasher; preferably a tall, dark, and handsome one! icon_biggrin.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #32 of 58

Hmmm I dont like the cleaning up either but I do it as I go so it's not to bad or big a job.

I think for me I hate rolling out the fondant for large cakes most. I have carpel in both wrists so this part is painful at best.

But I have my son who helps me out a lot with that now so not to bad any more.

I also dont like cutting the foam core cause I can never get it smooth or even LOL.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB

What's your least favorite thing to do in the cake-making process?

For me, it's hands down cutting the foamcore cake boards. icon_evil.gif I hate that more than washing pans, more than kneading fondant, more than cutting dowels...more than everything!

What's yours?

A couple years ago, while make Halloween props, my wife and I discovered the hot wire foam cutters. No mess, just a little patience. I love mine and wouldn't part with it. You simple guide it where you want it on the foam and no little foam pieces falling off. It kinda melts the foam as it goes, sealing it and you get full pieces that come off.

My worst favorite thing to do is the final cleanup and put away of everything. I don't mind all the washing that you do throughout the project, but it's when the cake is all done and I still have more to clean that I find it hard. It's kind of a let down I think.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #34 of 58

Mine is actual baking of the cakes and making icing..If I could have a baking and icing Elf...I'd be in heaven!!!

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:47pm
post #35 of 58

I'm with everyone on the clean-up process. But then I would love to have that little baking and icing elf as well too! icon_biggrin.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:47pm
post #36 of 58

Baking, hands down!

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:49pm
post #37 of 58

Cleanup. I clean as I go, but there still seems to be a lot of cleanup when I'm finished. At that point I'm tired, it's late-and just want to fall into bed! But my mind won't let me rest till the kitchen is clean.

bellaloco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaloco Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

people that email me asking for prices without telling you what kind of cake they want, how many servings they need, how elaborate they want it.....just how much are your cakes? icon_cry.gif and then get annoyed when they have to email me back all the info. Really?! icon_confused.gif

I totally agree with this one! It is so frustrating to try and explain that to people and they just don't understand why the details matter.

I also hate cleaning up...I usually leave that for my husband...oh I am so horrible!
and kneading color into pre-made fondant-that's probably the biggest reason I try to make my own whenever possible.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #39 of 58

I don't like baking the actual cake
I don't like kneading
I don't like rolling out fondant incorrectly and having to ball it all up and start over.
I don't like washing dishes, but I like cleaning other areas that I've blown up in the cake process...countertop, table, myself icon_lol.gif .

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #40 of 58

[quote="Texas_Rose] icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif It's like the saying: Mix water and flour, you get glue. Add eggs, sugar and vanilla, you get cake. Where does the glue go? It glues the cake to your butt!!![/quote]

OMG that's hilarious - hadn't heard that before!

My least favorite part is making icing!!! I don't know why but I hate doing that. Maybe it's all the powdered sugar dust all over everything when I'm done???

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #41 of 58

Icing the darn cake! I hate it if I'm doing a chocolate cake. Those crumbs never seem to stop and I ALWAYS end up with some in my icing! I HATE crumbs! I could crumb coat til the cows came home and I would still have them show up in my icing.
Cleaning up I don't mind.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #42 of 58

Its got to be cleaning up. I hate that the crumbs go everywhere especially when carving.My kitchen is small so I have to keep it as clean and tidy as I can when workng and I find that frustrating. Hate washing all the greasy items. I have no dishwasher which makes it worse.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm
post #43 of 58

Its got to be cleaning up. I hate that the crumbs go everywhere especially when carving.My kitchen is small so I have to keep it as clean and tidy as I can when workng and I find that frustrating. Hate washing all the greasy items. I have no dishwasher which makes it worse.

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:05am
post #44 of 58

Ironically for someone posting on a cake decorating board - it's the decorating. Or rather, PLANNING the decorating. Deciding what do to.

I'm not creative or artistic, I don't enjoy the "creative process", I'm a technician.

I love baking - that's my favourite part. I like making icing, I like getting a nice smooth buttercream base on a cake. I like making royal icing flowers and that sort of thing. I hate lettering, though. My arthritis makes my hands a bit too shaky for lettering and really fine string work, more's the pity...I think I'd enjoy the finickiness of lambeth type work.

I don't mind cleaning up, I'm not fond of having to put everything away, but I don't "cake" as often as most of you.

I dislike anything to do with fondant. I'm OK with gumpaste, but I really dislike fondant. I hated playing with clay and plasticine as a kid too...just like I hated art classes...

So, pity me - my next cake is a retirement cake for a coworker. I've already figured out it needs a "golf" theme. Which means, like it or not, I'll be modelling tees and golf balls...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianChick

Ironically for someone posting on a cake decorating board - it's the decorating. Or rather, PLANNING the decorating. Deciding what do to.

I'm not creative or artistic, I don't enjoy the "creative process", I'm a technician.

I love baking - that's my favourite part. I like making icing, I like getting a nice smooth buttercream base on a cake. I like making royal icing flowers and that sort of thing. I hate lettering, though. My arthritis makes my hands a bit too shaky for lettering and really fine string work, more's the pity...I think I'd enjoy the finickiness of lambeth type work.

I don't mind cleaning up, I'm not fond of having to put everything away, but I don't "cake" as often as most of you.

I dislike anything to do with fondant. I'm OK with gumpaste, but I really dislike fondant. I hated playing with clay and plasticine as a kid too...just like I hated art classes...

So, pity me - my next cake is a retirement cake for a coworker. I've already figured out it needs a "golf" theme. Which means, like it or not, I'll be modelling tees and golf balls...

Man oh man, can we be partners???? Haha. I don't care for baking...making icing....especially coloring icing and fondant...or cleaning up. I would love for baked cakes and colored icing/fondant to be set in front of me and me just decorate. And I loved playing with clay as a kid! Although I don't tend to like to do alot of gumpaste figures...probably because it involves making colors!!!! haha.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #46 of 58
Quote:

For me, it's hands down cutting the foamcore cake boards. icon_evil.gif I hate that more than washing pans, more than kneading fondant, more than cutting dowels...more than everything!

What's yours?

I've recently been in talks with a foam core board supply company and they are in the process of creating a line of precut cake boards in both 1/2 and 3/16 inch thicknesses, the surface of which is a FDA approved styrene covering that is grease and water proof.

I received my samples yesterday and they are great! I am just awaiting information of sizes and shapes that will be produced and the costs. When I get that information, I will pass it on to everyone here on the board. The representative I've talked with makes it sound like these will be offered at a great price.....so keep your fingers crossed!

By the way...I HATE making icing!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #47 of 58

clean-up!

bakescakes1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescakes1227 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:48pm
post #48 of 58

Bein only 4'11" and weighing less than 100 lbs. the kneading fodant is what kills me! and to top off the sore back and arms, I always forget the gloves and end up with blue, purple, or green hands. But I love the decorationg and baking to much to give it up. Its an addiction! icon_biggrin.gif

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:01pm
post #49 of 58

coloring the icing -- way too time consuming.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #50 of 58

This is gonna sound weird, but I hate working with perishable fillings and icings, especially anything involving cream cheese!

While I love the flavor of cream cheese, Living in AZ it spoils too easily and melts quickly. I also hate shortening in icing, but I can't ever seem to fully get away from having to add it to any icing I make that I know will have to go outside for longer than five minutes. Even then there have been too many times where the icing has melted off the cake by the time I get it where I'm going, even if it's in a ice chest!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:32pm
post #51 of 58

Besides cleaning (which I really detest, especially after a BC cake with many colors = many little bowls!) I hate having to refill my huge canisters from the huge bags of flour, sugar, icing sugar and cocoa and from the box of shortening. Such a nuisance, and so awkward!! I don't have the room for the big bags in my kitchen so have to go to my storage room to re-fill my canister, it's amazing how fast I can go through 45 cups of sugar or flour...

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #52 of 58

Until recently, I would have said cleanup but cleanup is so much easier in the shop than at home. Right now, I HATE stacking, especially buttercream iced cakes.! I'm leaving in 30 minutes to set up a 5 tier cake. We have 3 tiers stacked and I will stack the last 2 onsite. I can't get those tiers on without screwing up the edges. This has chocolate ganache dripping down the sides and after I got that figured out, love it. However, I hope the roses and rose petals make this one better because it is definitely not my favorite cake. icon_cry.gif

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:02am
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I hate the baking, fondanting, icing and all those preparations. I just want to go to the decorating part.

Same here!!!

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:24pm
post #54 of 58

The only part I really hate is the clean up.

But...... I get tired of going through the whole shebang for every cake. I wish for each cake I could just decide what I was in the mood for. Like, today I am in the mood to bake and the rest would take care of itself. Or tomorrow I am in the mood to decorate and someone would just hand me the cake.

Part of that is that I am coming off 2 weeks with 4 birthdays and NONE of the cakes turned out in a way that I would like because I just didn't have the time to do all the steps, so I rushed through them and they turned out kind of crappy.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #55 of 58

Clean up is my least fav. I hate cleaning piping bags and tips!!

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:43pm
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I hate the baking, fondanting, icing and all those preparations. I just want to go to the decorating part.

thumbs_up.gif

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:

What's yours?

I've recently been in talks with a foam core board supply company and they are in the process of creating a line of precut cake boards in both 1/2 and 3/16 inch thicknesses, the surface of which is a FDA approved styrene covering that is grease and water proof.

I received my samples yesterday and they are great! I am just awaiting information of sizes and shapes that will be produced and the costs. When I get that information, I will pass it on to everyone here on the board. The representative I've talked with makes it sound like these will be offered at a great price.....so keep your fingers crossed!

By the way...I HATE making icing!

This is a great idea, and I'm surprised other companies haven't jumped on the idea yet, maybe they didn't realize the demand for it until now

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #58 of 58

For me, it's tied between making the frosting/fondant and cleaning up. I love baking (that's what got me started in the first place). I can deal with all the other annoyances. But I hate making the damn frosting and fondant and I hate the clean up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%