Cake Board Look Like A Piano?

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 2:19am by tonimarie

tonimarie Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 4

I'm planning on covering my cake board with white fondant,(round board) and then lay black "key" on it to look like a piano. I have seen this several times on cakes, but no do I get the keys to go all the way around and look evenly spaced? TIA and I have pm'd someone, I'm just panicking she might not have time to get back to me so I thought I'd throw the question out and hope someone would know icon_smile.gif

3 replies
tonimarie Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 4

so noone has ever done this........

majka_ze Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 4

Well, here is what I would do. But you end with lot of black fondant you won't use in the end.
Prepare a circle with same dimensions as your cake board (slightly larger) from black fondant on a clear vinyl sheet. Mark the "keys" - simply make cuts in 1/2, then 1/4, then 1/8, then 1/16, 1/32, ... (end where your keys are on the outside slightly wider than you want. Going from the center, make another cut next to each - this will be the space between them - I would say don't measure, simply mark the width with a soda straw or something similar on the outside. Cut the middle circle out (unless you set a cake on top of it and don't need it. Peel the space between the "keys" off.

Cover the cake board with the white fondant. If it holds well, the easiest way it to set the covered board on top of the black "keys", press it together and cut around your board the excess black fondant.

Flip the whole "sandwich" over (including the vinyl / cutting board and you are done.

An alternative is to set the black fondant in the fridge to let it harden. Cover the cake board with white, take the black fondant out, flip it over the covered board - here is the white vinyl helpful to position it better. Press it gently together and carefully peel the vinyl off.

This way you can avoid measuring and positioning of each key separately.

tonimarie Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #4 of 4

wow! thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%