Dora Cake?? Help!!

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm by Josie07

Rhonda19 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 4

I only make cakes for my family and a few friends, and recently my son asked me about making a cake for his friend's 2 year old.

She wants a " dora " cake, and the mother asked if I could make some 3-D gumpaste figures for it. Well... Boots the monkey turned out great, if I do say so... (LOL) But Dora?? Oh My Goodness!! Why is it so hard to make Dora??

I have spent 2 entire mornings trying to make a Dora that resembles " Dora " and it still looks nothing like her?

Does anyone have any suggestions?? I am desperate at this point!!

3 replies
Melnick Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:07am
post #2 of 4

I looked at heaps of Dora cakes and really didn't find any with a good Dora figurine made of gumpaste, no matter how talented the caker. So, rather than attempting to make one, I bought the Dora candle set which comes with a Dora figurine and just used that. I really couldn't see the point in putting myself through all the heartache if I was never going to get it to work the way I wanted.

Have a look at this pic and you'll see how I used it:

But if you want to make the figurine, consider using a small round styrophome ball for the head - it will give you the round shape you need without the weight.

majka_ze Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 4

Here you could buy a Dora cake topper, if you want. And even when not - best is not to look at a picture (drawing) but at a toy. I agree with Melnick - the problem is that Dora has enormous head in relation to the body.

Good luck to you!

Josie07 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 4

I just did a Dora cake for my girlfriends daughter. However I cheated and bought a Dora topper. It is a safari theme with Dora and Diego in jeeps. The only place where I have found this cake topper is at I'm not a professional cake decorater but it didn't come out too bad. Maybe this could be a solution. For some reason I can't attach a pic but will post on my pics if you would like to take a look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%