Registering A Business - Renting Space In A Kitchen

Business By cakesweetiecake Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm by tracycakes

cakesweetiecake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 4

This may be a stupid question, but I just wanted to double check before proceeding. I will be registering a business. I am in a state where you cannot bake from home. I will be renting space from an existing business owner. When filling out the registration, do I just use my home address for the main address of the business? I will not be baking from my home. I dont feel comfortable using the address of the rented kitchen as 1) it is not my location and 2) it could change in the future.

Please advise.

3 replies
cakesdivine Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 4

When filing for your DBA use your home address, If your state requires a sales tax certificate then you have the ability to put the location of where you produce your product and a place where you prefer it to be mailed (your home). Generally for rented kitchens you put in one area where you will be producing the product and in another area where the license and other correspondance should be mailed (your home). At least that is how it is done in Texas. When you rent a kitchen you are classified as a food manufacturer not a food establishment.

cakesweetiecake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 4

Ok, thanks a bunch! That makes sense!

tracycakes Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 4

I rent a commercial kitchen but use my home address on legal forms. My home is my office, but I bake and decorate in the commercial kitchen. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%