Gumpaste Face Molds

Decorating By ski Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 2:47am by ski

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 9

Ok I will readily admit it...I suck at making faces! icon_cry.gif Does anyone have a place they know of for a face mold, particulary around 1-3 " (I have seen the one at Global, but I would like a more realistic looking one.)sizes??? Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
Ski

8 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 9

bump

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 9

Check out the clay aisle at Michael's, JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby. They all have silicone face molds. Hobby Lobby, if you have one of those, has the biggest selection of different face molds.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 9

thats what i used on my sleeping beauty cake for her face is a clay mold. as long as you use it only for food and not polymer clay ever. It can be washed and sanitized. You are right though, faces are a hard one. I even have some hand and feet molds from the clay tools. I wish some one would make better molds for heads. A good selection of sizes and some for men,and women of all sizes and ages.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by momvarden

thats what i used on my sleeping beauty cake for her face is a clay mold. as long as you use it only for food and not polymer clay ever. It can be washed and sanitized. You are right though, faces are a hard one. I even have some hand and feet molds from the clay tools. I wish some one would make better molds for heads. A good selection of sizes and some for men,and women of all sizes and ages.

I bought the same ones from Michaels. I've only used them a few times to practice, not quite got the hang of it yet. How long do you leave them in the mold before removing and squishing them in the process?

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 9

dutchy, I used white modeling chocolate it is closer to the skin tone the gumpaste, but i dust it with corn starch before hand(the mold) and rolled the modeling chocolate in it as well but it in my hands because it can become sticky. I just press it in and remove it. Just one tip, make sure there are not any lines in what ever medium you are working with, because you will have this perfect face and a line in the chin, or eye ect..... (speaking from frustrating experience.)

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:29am
post #7 of 9

When you have filled your mold either with gum paste or chocolate, place them in the freezer for a few minutes. They will then just pop out & be perfect no squishing.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #8 of 9

Thanks, wasn't sure if those ones could go in the freezer, I only recently found out the 1st impression baby mold I have could go in the freezer, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how everyone got their babies looking so perfect and mine came out looking like an alien everytime lol

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:47am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and tips! We don't have a Hobby lobby here puffcake and I sure do miss that store! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%