What Am I Doing Wrong? (Just Started Using Indydebi's Bc)

Decorating By Tarielena Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm by indydebi

Tarielena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarielena Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 8

So I've made three cakes this week that all had a filling other than BC, and after I covered them with the icing there was a distinct ring around the cake between the two layers where the dam was trying to "splooch" out and no amount of smoothing would make it go away. I've never ever had that happen on ANY cakes previously, so it doesn't make sense to me that I would have suddenly started sucking at filling cakes.

What am I doing wrong with the icing? I've noticed it have a kind of lighter almost "fluffy" texture and didn't seem too hefty even when I added less liquid. I saw a thread post where Indydebi mentioned beating the heck out of all the ingredients with a little powdered sugar as a binder to smooth everything out before adding the rest of the sugar so that's what I've been doing. Am I maybe beating it too much?

Oh and also, after all that smoothing from trying to get the bulge out the icing would take on an almost "wrinkly" texture if you looked close, like the way it gets if you try to smooth it after it's crusted several hours, not minutes.

I'd really like to continue using this recipe, but it's frustrating having these issues pop up that I never used to have.

7 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 8

Sent you a PM.

anews Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anews Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 8

I too am having the same problem. Could you please share your solution?

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 8

ditto

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 8

Are you placing the dam slightly inside the edge of the cake, so that when the cake smooches the dam, the dam rolls out to the edge ofthe cake where it should be and not outside the edge of the cake?

Are you letting the cakes sit and settle after crumb coating? I crumb the day before and ice the next day. If I have to, I crumb in the morning and ice in the afternoon.

Sometimes I will have a bulge if I've place the dam in the wrong place. Once I ice the cake, it's covered. Edna's video on icing a cake has great tips .... LOTS of icing then remove the excess when smoothing. I just rewatched her video in the last handful of weeks and my icing jobs are looking better than ever.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks Indydeb. Quick question, how do I store your icing? I have some left over and wanted to use it for another cake next week. Can you use the powdered milk mixed with water so it can sit out longer? TIA

anews Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anews Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks, indydebi. I will try this.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 8

I store mine in an airtight container on the counter for days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%