Cake Truffle Question

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm by Rylan

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:08am
post #1 of 5

Can any of you give me your receipe for cake truffles. There is one which I already use but I was wondering if there are any other variations. Also, my receipe contains raw egg to bind the ingredients, do you all use raw eggs?

I am planning to do an open gift box cake with fondant panels on the side and truffles on top. I don't know whether to cover my truffles with cocoa powder or real chocolate. My question is, is it better to place the truffles on fondant or buttercream icing? If I use white fondant (which will look like the tissue paper), the chocolate / cocoa powder on the truffles might mess up the white fondant. Or should I just place the truffles on chocolate buttercream icing?

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 5

when I make cake truffles I take my cake scraps and add liquid coffee creamer to it to bind it and then dip in melted chocolate

You can use buttercream icing to bind or any type of sleeve cake filling (just a couple tblsp.) to bind the cake too. You are just looking for the cake to hold together when you smoosh it into a ball.

Once they're rolled into the ball shape I freeze them for about 30 min. and then dip in melted chocolate that has a little bit of shortening in it (gives the chocolate a nice gloss).....then I roll in coconut or nuts, or add sprinkles...whatever the decorations call or. If you're going eleagant you might just leave them plain.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 5

I use buttercream to bind mine together. I've never heard of one using raw eggs. What recipe are you using?

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 5

I also like to drizzle chocolate in a complimentary color over the chocolate covered truffle.

I wouldn't use raw eggs, though, if I were you. There are so many other ways to bind the cake that are yummy!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 5

There are many binders you can use. There are coffee creamers, custards (also cheesecake), jams, preserves, sleeve fillings, fudge, buttercream, liquer, peanut butter and any type of filling you use in between your cakes. You can also add some chopped chocolate candy bars to give it a little twist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%