Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By cakecircus Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 6:50am by cakecircus

cakecircus Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:19am
post #1 of 20

Has anyone tried the DH Red Velvet cake? I can't find it where I live and I am curious.

19 replies
Melchas Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:29am
post #2 of 20

I have and it's delicious. I've made scratch red velvet and had it from a bakery and I still think the box mix is better. I made it for a wedding cake, a doctored mix, and everyone loved it.

The only store I was able to find it at was Albetrson's, but now I have seen it at a couple other super markets.

my_4_dumplins Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:33am
post #3 of 20

I made one on the 6th of this month for my sisters birthday and it was very good. I just followed the box directions and it turned out really nice. Very dense and moist. I get mine from wal mart.

sweetneice Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 20

I love it

happy1mom Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 20

I also buy mine from Walmart. I like to doctor it up. Delish! thumbs_up.gif

my_4_dumplins Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:58am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1mom

Care to share how you doctor it?

korensmommy Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:00am
post #7 of 20

Funny you posted this today. I just got an order from a man who had my DH red velvet cake w/cc buttercream last week. He called and said he just had to have that cake ASAP!! He asked if he needed a special occasion or would I just make him a cake for no reason - how funny!! I said the only reason you needed was a love of cake!

I doctor mine up, including adding a box of white chocolate Jello pudding (read that tip here somewhere)

iownajane Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:10am
post #8 of 20

Funny...I was at my DD's house last weekend..LO and behold...a "RED" partially eaten cake layer(in the pan still) in the fridge????so I said "A mix ??" (their FAVORITE icing is CANNED)and it was.....apparently good....How do you compete against this????

GottaLuvCake Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:13am
post #9 of 20

Yes, i doctor it too, and i think the Red Velvet is great. Just like the extra kick! Has anyone tried the coconut Duncan Hines Mix??? I cannot find it here ?

korensmommy Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:14am
post #10 of 20

I also like the DH coconut mix a lot. I doctor it up too, adding a box of coconut pudding and 1/2 milk 1/2 water. The only flavor I don't like from DH is strawberry, I prefer Pillsbury.

GottaLuvCake Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #11 of 20

I am jealous that you can buy the coconut icon_sad.gif I do not do the strawberry or the lemon. i make the strawberry and my lemon from an enhanced box version recipe. The lemon one is on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korensmommy

I also like the DH coconut mix a lot. I doctor it up too, adding a box of coconut pudding and 1/2 milk 1/2 water. The only flavor I don't like from DH is strawberry, I prefer Pillsbury.

korensmommy Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #12 of 20

I just checked the DH website and I can get every flavor here but the caramel one.
Sometimes I can find them on sale for .75!
But, living in southern Louisiana, I have to deal with 85+% humidity year round. A real pain when working with fondant!

You get the good with the bad......

JanH Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #13 of 20

Here's a previous review thread on DH RV cake:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-160551-.html

HTH

madgeowens Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:39am
post #14 of 20

Yes I have a few times....its great

happy1mom Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_4_dumplins

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1mom

Care to share how you doctor it?

I use this recipe here on cc for every cake I've done so far:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

zdebssweetsj Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:55pm
post #16 of 20

I usually use Montclair Martha's Red Velvet Cake (Martha Stewart), for those that just have to have scratch, but personally I love DH Red Velvet.

GamerGirl Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #17 of 20

I picked some up when I was in ID last month and it is great. Unfortunately we cannot get it here in Canada.

dpaulson512 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 20

Hi, just have to let you guys know that I found the DH Red Velvet and used the additions that you guys had talked about: 1 extra egg, use buttermilk instead of water, and add 1 instant box of white chocolate pudding and 2 T of cocoa. This cake is DELICIOUS! Even my daughter who dislikes cake loved it!

Just had to share!

Thanks so much for this group of creative people!

BlackFlour Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:19pm
post #19 of 20

Love DH red velvet, and so does everyone i've fed it to! icon_smile.gif I use the cake box extender here on cc. Use the box directions, then add another egg (or egg white) cup of flour, cup of sugar, for red velvet i use 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of choc yogurt, and 1 tsp flavoring and a dash of salt! Always turns out yummy! icon_smile.gif

cakecircus Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:50am
post #20 of 20

Thanks for all the input! I only just figured out how to check on my post now.... I will have to go to WA State I guess to find it as I have not found it anywhere here in Vancouver, Canada.... I have never seen the coconut one so I will add it to my list of ones to find. I love the Pillsbury Strawberry Cake - it's so yummy with chocolate buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%