New Here With A Question

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 2:58am by JanH

Rachie204 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #1 of 11

Hi I just joined here. I have been playing with cake decorating for a few years now but have not done anything big yet due to time and partly because I dont really know where to start. I have only done small cakes but would like to do a three tier cake for my daughters first birthday in January. I would like to do a round medium sized three tier and will be covering it in fondant. What inch pans do I need and what depth? Also for the 3 tiers how many cake mixes should I use and how high should I fill each pan. Any help would be appreciated...I want to start practicing now so that I wont freak at the last minute.

10 replies
all4cake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:21am
post #2 of 11

Welcome!

If you go to the Wilton website, you'll find a chart that tells how much batter for each pan as well as a servings chart for each size pan. You will be able to determine what size pans you'll need by how many guests you're expecting.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Rachie204 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:24am
post #3 of 11

thank you...i think i remember seeing that now that you mention it. I am going to check it out. Thanks again!

auntginn Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:24am
post #4 of 11

Yes, that's the best place to go. And I too want to welcome you to the wonderful world of CC and all the fun of learning and growing while here.

Rachie204 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:25am
post #5 of 11

thank you auntginn.....I am really excited to start picking up the cake decorating where I left off.

all4cake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:29am
post #6 of 11

...as for the pan depths...I prefer 2"...

Rachie204 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:36am
post #7 of 11

thanks to you both...I checked out that site and that helped alot. Have either of you worked with the Sam's club icing they sell in the 28lb buckets? I was thinking about giving it a try...

all4cake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:42am
post #8 of 11

I have...I worked there 2+ years. I love its' workability and as long as you close it tightly, it has a great shelf life...so, you'd be able to get some considerable practice in before it goes out of date....I don't think it tastes all that bad either(then, again, pretty much anything that has sugar and fat in it tastes good to me)

SugarFrosted Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:43am
post #9 of 11

Welcome to CakeCentral! You will love it here!

A lot of people here have tried the Sam's icing and liked it. I don't care for it myself, but that's just me. It is a time saver and it does work fairly well. I just prefer to make my own.

I am surprised JanH has not posted here yet, so I will post her favorite super-thread link. It has everything you need to know about creating a tiered cake. Don't be put off by the title being about wedding cakes. A tiered cake is a tiered cake, no matter the occasion.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Good luck and post pictures!

Rachie204 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 11

thank you anna...I will check that link out!

JanH Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:58am
post #11 of 11

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread contains popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!!!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%