Urgent Please! Can I Re-Whip Royal Icing?

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 4:06am by leah_s

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:35am
post #1 of 7

I made RI and thought I'd whipped it long enough. I SO didn't. My flowers aren't hardening right and the center is a bit soupy looking. I still have 3/4 batch. Is there anyway I can rewhip it and save it?

Or is it a lost cause!?? Thank you CCers!

6 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:43am
post #2 of 7

Are you sure that the problem is that it wasn't whipped enough? If so, then you can put it back in and whip it some more. (I've done that a number of times, usually the next day when I want to use leftover RI.)

If there was any grease in the bowl or on the beaters, it will break down, so if rewhipping doesn't help or even makes it worse, it may be due to grease.

onlymadaresane Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:47am
post #3 of 7

Thank you! I thought it didn't look quite right..I whipped it for 7minutes. I should have gone longer. I'm hoping there's no grease. But it looks shiny! icon_sad.gif I'd hate to have to do my flowers over again!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:48am
post #4 of 7

you CAN rebeat r/i... if you think it needs a little more powder sugar.. then add that and rebeat..hth

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 7

Yes, you can re-whip it -- but I agree - if it's soupy, you may have a little grease in it somehow. That causes it to break down. You try adding a bit more powdered sugar also. When it's done mixing, the sheen should be gone - it shouldn't be shiney at all.

onlymadaresane Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:54am
post #6 of 7

It's going right now. If it still doesn't come out right...could I think it down and use it to ice cookies or will it not set at all?

How do I prevent this from happening again?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:06am
post #7 of 7

I think there's not enough powdered sugar in it.

But if it's a grease problem, then classic method to clean your bowl is to rub it with salt, discard the salt, then wipe it out with a towel damped with white vinegar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%