How Do I Make This Border?

Decorating By lauritasolorzano Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 12:09am by Tee-Y

lauritasolorzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauritasolorzano Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #1 of 15

Hello Everyone

I am having some problems trying to do the border that the cake in the picture has. I bought small silver dragges and I tried to glue them to the cake with piping gel, but this is not working.
Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for looking
Laura
LL

14 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:34am
post #2 of 15

Tyloce and water makes a great glue. Or dissolve a bit of gumpaste powder in water.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 15

They look like they are "glued" onto a ribbon of fondant. Just my opinion.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 15

I really can't see the border, but if it is dragees, try using melted white chocolate. Hold the dragees with tweezers, use a paint brush and apply a little bit of melted chocolate, and it holds.

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 15

I think you could used stiff royal icing colored gray (so that it won't show).

kattyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kattyann Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 15

The picture isn't too clear, but it looks to me like it is silver beading that you buy by the strand. I have used those before and attach with a thin strip of buttercream icing. I know Wilton carries the white and ivory. I think they probably carry the silver too. Kattyann

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 15

To me it looks like they use this studded like mold. Here is a sample from my imaginary boyfriend's website:

cal javaonline.com/lacemold900s-1-901.htm (attach the spaces)

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #8 of 15

Well, my opinion is that it's either from the fabric department or the 900 series mold that rylan suggested. To make it edible and color to match the cake, I would suggest using one of the molds. They are fab! Good luck.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:55am
post #9 of 15

this cake is by Mignon Daymond from Melbourne Australia

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37273385@N06/3521664756/

Think you will find they are silver cachous

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37273385@N06/3521017125/in/set-72157617985513058/

If you want to check for sure - send her a PM on Flickr

sadsmile Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 15

The mold produces a perfect line or rows of pearls. The cake looks more like individually placed dragees or cachous(same thing different name LOL) that are not perfectly in line but more staggered. You need to use a glue that will disappear and not show(which is why I suggested the tylose glue because you can use such a tiny amount of it) and place them with tweezers right on the tiny spots of glue needed so you don't rub off the sliver finish with your fingers.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:31pm
post #11 of 15

I've used RI to stick mine to a cake. Have done several cakes with dragees and not a single one came off.

sadsmile Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:45pm
post #12 of 15

Yes RI would work but you would see a tiny ring around each dragee were as if, you dotted a tiny bit of tylose glue on the spot and then placed the dragee... the gluing method would be invisible. And border on that cake looks like the dragees are just placed there nice and clean with no visible RI.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 15

I've used the silver cachous/dragees before and I just use the end of a tiny paintbrush to make a small indent - pop in some piping gel (thick) or some tylose glue (which ever you prefer) and then use tweezers to place the cachous.

This is painstakingly long and tedious! icon_cry.gif and you will drop probably one in four icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I've found it really helps to have a tilted turntable when doing these side borders.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:15pm
post #14 of 15

That's a gorgeous cake! And I love the technique she used.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:09am
post #15 of 15

Thick tylose will do just fine and then you can spray the border the same colour as the cake when you are done if that's the effect you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%