Start With Chocolate Fondant To Get A Deep Red?

Decorating By NatiMF30 Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 3:43am by dandelion56602

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 4

I was just wondering if anyone has used chocolate fondant to get to a Red that is deep or does it just make it dark?

I'm asking because I've read from many on here that it's difficult to achieve a true deep red from a large batch of white fondant.

I've mixed white fondant with wilton red red and no taste red but it was a bit bright and not deep enough.

Any thoughts? If not I'll just have to do some experimenting. Thanks

3 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 4

I would start with a pink fondant and then use red, in your case.

If you can, I would order Americolor's super red. It's amazing. And it doesn't take a whole lot to get it bright red. It's just amazing!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #3 of 4

You might could, but I wouldn't go too brown. How red are you wanting it? To get a deeper red you can add a little black to the red---this is the only reason I think it might work. Try it w/ a small piece if you can---before making an entire batch

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 4

Ok, I just went to my freezer & pulled out some white & chocolate MMF (b/c my choc is DARK brown) & mixed them to get a light brown. I used Chef Master Super Red (and still quite a bit) and mixed it in. I ended up w/ a burgundy. So, if you want burgundy I would suggest starting w/ a chocolate MMF, but if you're wanting RED I would suggest starting w/ pink, then red & then add a touch of black (it deepens it if you use a little)

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%