Store Bought Fondant

Decorating By joanhobby Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 4:56am by cabecakes

joanhobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanhobby Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 19

I've heard that Wilton's fondant does not taste too good. What brands are recommended, specifically for good taste?

18 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 19

Satin Ice, Pettinice, Chocopan are the first ones that come to mind. You have to purchase them at restaurant supply stores or cake shops, or else online. Wilton doesn't just "not taste too good" - it's downright awful. To me it tastes like it was not actually intended to be edible...like some kind of clay or similar product. thumbsdown.gif

joanhobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanhobby Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 19

Thank you Ceshell icon_smile.gif You would think that with the Wilton fondant having such a universal bad rep they would be looking to improve.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #4 of 19

Definitely DO NOT buy Wilton...tastes so gross! Have you tried making your own? I always bought before but it's so simple to make it yourself that I would never buy again! BTW I use MMF...

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 19

I just made MMF for the first time. I really like the taste. My boss who does not like fondant said he liked the taste of this one. I am just having a little trouble getting the right consistency. I think it is still a little too most. Will have to keep experimenting.

TheBlonde Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1959

I just made MMF for the first time. I really like the taste. My boss who does not like fondant said he liked the taste of this one. I am just having a little trouble getting the right consistency. I think it is still a little too most. Will have to keep experimenting.

I always make my MMF, wrap it well and put it in the fridge....reallt helps to firm it up if it appears to be too moirst....you can always all my ps too

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:01am
post #7 of 19

Commercial Fondant Average: $5/lb

Marshmallow Fondant Average:

2lbs Pwd. Sugar = $1.00
1bg Marshmallows = $1.00

SO! 2lbs of MMF = $2
2lbs of Store bought = $10

Yet both run about $3/serving icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:57am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanhobby

Thank you Ceshell icon_smile.gif You would think that with the Wilton fondant having such a universal bad rep they would be looking to improve.

Tell me about it! Much has been made of this topic here on CC, but they just don't seem to care, since they are only stocked in the craft aisle, essentially for hobbyists. I would guess that they sell enough of it to unsuspecting people that they just don't see the need to make it better. Seems silly when they could broaden their market share icon_rolleyes.gif. I would buy it all the time if it didn't taste like you-know-what; it's nice to be able to pick up a few small pks of precolored stuff and not have to fork over $10-15 (or more if you have to get SI shipped).

Instead, I too make my own.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:13am
post #9 of 19

For store bought fondant, I agree with ceshell. Chocopan is the best tasting I've ever tried. Fondx is also good and Satin Ice is okay.

ceshell Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 19

Rylan, how do you find it is, working w/Chocopan? I've read that it can roll thinner but gets softer while you handle it. Always been curious. Fondx, I knew there was another one. I don't care for SatinIce but it's the only one I can find locally, although Surfas carries chocolate Pettinice which is very good.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 19

The Fondarific is very tasty too! I bought some at the ICES Conference and really liked the flavor.
I like the "stretchiness" of Satin Ice. I used it to cover my biggest cakes. I also like Pettinice. ChocoPan is delicious, but it is expensive. I make MMF to cover small cakes and for fondant decorations most of the time.

Jodie

Rylan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 19

Ceshell, I haven't tried covering a cake with Chocopan but I have tasted most of the flavors. I'd love to try Pettinice but they are expensive. All I can afford is Satin Ice and Fondx. I love the performance of Satinc Ice and the taste of Fondx. Btw, I tried adding some melted chocolate to my Satin Ice and omgosh, it was the best consistency of fondant I've ever tried. It also had that really nice satin look and doesn't tear as much--I can also roll it super thin. Oh and it also tasted like soft Tootsie rolls. Check out the brown ribbon on my last fondant cake, that is what I used.

TheBlonde Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Ceshell, I haven't tried covering a cake with Chocopan but I have tasted most of the flavors. I'd love to try Pettinice but they are expensive. All I can afford is and Fondx. I love the performance of Satinc Ice and the taste of Fondx. Btw, I tried adding some melted chocolate to my and omgosh, it was the best consistency of fondant I've ever tried. It also had that really nice satin look and doesn't tear as much--I can also roll it super thin. Oh and it also tasted like soft Tootsie rolls. Check out the brown ribbon on my last fondant cake, that is what I used.

I was actually really interrested in trying to add melted chocolate to my fondant. If you don't mind me asking, how much melted chocolate do you add to how much fondant?

Rylan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:44pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlonde

I was actually really interrested in trying to add melted chocolate to my fondant. If you don't mind me asking, how much melted chocolate do you add to how much fondant?

That is what I have to figure out. I really could not remember the exact measurements I used because I was just experimenting that time. As far as I recall, it was about 2 pounds of fondant and maybe about 1/4/ - 1/3 cup of chocolate. I did add some food coloring and cocoa powder in the mixture. I also added some tylose. I'll have to experiment again to get the exact measurements because adding too much chocolate will make it crumbly (I did it before).

That is just my experience and I'm not sure how results would vary without the food coloring, cocoa powder and tylose.

Oh and the great thing about this is that after it has crusted (pretend you accidentally left it), just keep kneading it and it will become soft again.

Barb1959 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:58pm
post #15 of 19

I posted in another forum, but I thought I'd try here too. Does anyone know how long you can keep MMF before it is unusable. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and then in a plastic bag with air taken out. What do you think?

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanhobby

Sorry, doesn't answer OP's question, but sort-of on topic. My Wilton instructor said that Wilton is very aware of the "tasting bad" rap its formula gets, but because it requires very minimal kneading it is great for beginners. It helps them roll it out easier and modeling with it works well, too. Think of it as training wheels I guess! icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #17 of 19

You can keep mmf tightly wrapped, in the pantry, for a good long time. One month, three months, some report longer. 6? I don't think there is a hard, fast rule. I freeze mine to keep it even longer.

Barb1959 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm
post #18 of 19

Thanks ceshell. That really makes me feel alot better. As least I don't have to worry about wasting it.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:56am
post #19 of 19

According to Wilton, fondant can be kept in an airtight container up to 2 months (do not freeze or refrigerate) Will last on a iced cake 3-4 days at room temperature.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%