Pirate Cake Help

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm by tirby

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all!
I am making a pirate cake to auction off for a non-profit and would appreciate any advice. First, I am confused as to how I should cover the cake with fondant to look like wooden planks. It would look like the following:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1195393

I read a thread by karensue that said to cut out little strips of fondant and attach them. Should I cover the entire cake in fondant before attaching little strips? Would that make it neater? And also, does anyone know how to make the cake shiny like this?

Also, I am making a rum cake. I was going to brush the layers with a rum-simple syrup mixture after baking. However, would this weaken the layers and make them more likely to fall apart?

Thank you for any help!

5 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:34am
post #2 of 6

I made a pirate cake this summer for my nephew's 10th birthday it was a 3 level cake on the first level I made the ship I covered the whole ship with fondant and used a impression mat to make the cake look like boards then I airbrushed the ship brown I could have covered it with pieces of fondant shaped into boards but I had to travel with this cake (130 miles) and felt better using a large pice of fondant instead of piecing it th picture is in my photos

Molly

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #3 of 6

I would think strips would work just fine. As for the shiny look, just thin some piping gel and paint over the fondant.

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 6

I made a cake like this for my sons birthday. Here is the link.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1097643.html

I just cut strips of brown fondant and used a knife to make the lines on them. Or you could use a impression matt.
Not sure what the shiny is, maybe piping gel?

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you everyone! It worked out great. I just cut strips out and applied the fondant directly to the buttercream. The only thing I know for the future is to not use rum cake for carving--too moist and fluffy! I'm attaching a picture of the finished cake.
LL

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 6

it turned out great!! I didn't see the post before. I did the same thing as far as individual boards.. Great Job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%