Aaaaaahhhhhh!!! The Top Of My Glass Is Meeeelllllltingg!!!!!

Sugar Work By emiyeric Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 2:59am by Charmed

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 10

I made a margarita glass for a cake for today out of poured sugar (thanks to the CCers who helped out with that!) - my first incursion into anything with sugar. I made the stem for the glass, and the glass itself, but it's so stinking HUMID here right now (been raining and raining), the sugar isn't setting quite right. So now I have a"lime wedge" on the side of the rim of the glass )stupid me, I put it on before attaching the glass to the stem), and it's weighing down my glass. I've already broken two glasses, and I don't have enough time or ingredients or confidence to do another now, so I REALLY don't want it to break, but I'm afraid the top might completely come off of the bottom. I've applied some extra sugar to the junction, but it just seemed to soften the junction with its warmth (again, my first stinking time with this, so it's trial and error!), and I'm getting a little nervous. The glass is supposed to be on top of the cake, but I'm thinking I might have to lay it down on the cake .... which would be a bummer icon_razz.gif.

Anyhow! Going downstairs to see how it's coming along ...

9 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 10

I feel your pain, sista.

It was raining cats and dogs when I needed to make a martini glass. The only way to keep my glasses from melting was to overcook the sugar. Since I figured the client didn't want a glass that looked like the dog peed in it, out of desperation, I wound up with this:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=556983

Amazingly, I've had several requests for the same cake and I've seen many decorators borrow the design.

I hope that whatever you wind up doing turns out to be a surprise success story.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 10

emiyeric could you please share how you did the martini glass? really appreciate it. thumbs_up.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 10

DianeLM, I love your cake!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 10

DianeLM, it is a great cake! Thanks for the sympathy icon_smile.gif ... I'm thinking I'll just put it on its side if it doesn't turn out. Argh! Charmed, I will certainly post a how-to for my glass ... supposing the thing works out! I'm still assembling the cake, and if it all comes together, will post it this evening ... instructions and all in just a little bit!

-Emi.

emiyeric Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #7 of 10

Just to confirm (she's about to pick it up!) I DON'T want to glue my glass with RI, right? Too much moisture? I'm worried it's going to crash with the little bit of poured sugar glue I used ...

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:01am
post #8 of 10

When I attached the top to the stem I just heated the top of the stem in a frying pan and attached. You could try putting the glass in the frig to cool off and harden up. I had to do that. I can't wait to see your glass. It will be great I am sure.

emiyeric Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #9 of 10

Okay, here's the link ...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1470097

Charmed, I followed Juliebold's wonderful ideas and poured sugar, per sugarmamma's (I believe) recipe - 1/2 c light corn syrup and 1/2 cup sugar, nuked at 50% x 5 minutes then 100% x 2 minutes; poured circles onto silicone mats, cooled just enough to be able to pick up and press into a real glass (Crisco'd first), and softly "urged" into the shape I wanted. I added a few drops of color to the sugar for the top. Then just heated the very tips of my stem to attach. Getting the glass not to slump over was the tricky part, though it attached well with no issues, simply because it was so stinking humid today that everything was sticky as all heck ... ARGH! Anyhow! It's done now! icon_smile.gif Brushed with vodka/corn syrup and sprinkled with sugar crystals for the finishing touch.

Thanks everybody for your great ideas!

-Emi.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #10 of 10

thanks Emi thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%