Cream Vs. Cream Cheese

Decorating By bbstephan Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 5:03am by Sugarflowers

bbstephan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone help me to understand why cream can be used in a homemade fondant recipe and not need refrigeration but cream cheese used in the same manner cannot?

6 replies
JanH Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:13am
post #2 of 7

It would depend on the recipe...

Sugar is hygroscopic (water attracting) and binds the water (controls the water activity) in other ingredients if used in sufficient quantitites.

Not being a food scientist, I would refrigerate if the recipe indicated to do so.

HTH

P.S. This is the reason that American buttercreams made with a small quantity of water, milk or cream and a huge amount of powdered sugar do not require refrigeration.

bbstephan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it! I am going to try Michelle Foster's recipe, but use cream cheese instead of cream. That recipe does not need to be refrigerated, and it uses 1/2 cup cream (so I'll use 1/2 cup cream cheese) and almost 4 lbs. of sugar plus 1 cup of corn syrup...

BakingJeannie Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 7

I have a question; how will you dissolve the gelatine?

JanH Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 7

Here's a tried and true cream cheese fondant recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7060/cream-cheese-base-fondant

HTH

bbstephan Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:30am
post #6 of 7

Does this fondant sweat? And, does cream cheese icing underneath it hold up okay?

P.S., I tried disolving the gelatine in warmed cream cheese...didn't work.

Sugarflowers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbstephan

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it! I am going to try Michelle Foster's recipe, but use cream cheese instead of cream. That recipe does not need to be refrigerated, and it uses 1/2 cup cream (so I'll use 1/2 cup cream cheese) and almost 4 lbs. of sugar plus 1 cup of corn syrup...

Umm...I don't think you can successfully replace the cream with cream cheese. One is a liquid and the other is not, even warm. You might be able to incorporate the cream cheese (room temperature) into the fondant when mixing the liquid ingredients with powered sugar. I'm not convinced that this will make a workable fondant. I think it would be more prudent to use cream cheese frosting under the fondant if the flavor is your goal.

It's VERY important to dissolve the gelatin for this recipe. It must first "bloom" by absorbing a liquid and then heated to dissolve it. There really isn't a way around this with this particular recipe.

HTH

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%