Carrot Cake Question

Decorating By bbstephan Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 2:53am by Kitagrl

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone- I could use your help!

I have a request for a carrot cake b-day cake with cream cheese icing. Easy enough request, however, I cover all of my cakes with fondant (Michelle Foster's recipe). I hate refrigeratoring cakes- they are not as flavorful when cold. So, how far in advance can I tell the client to set it out of the fridge before serving for it to be closer to room temp but not be a problem because of the cream cheese? Second- he wants a bow on top- I'll make that out of fondant...can I use the regular cream cheese icing recipe (cream cheese, butter, pwd. sug., van. extract) to cover the cake and be able to get the sides smooth? (maybe with hot water or paper towel) or do I have to put in some crisco? I don't like using crisco if I don't have to... Lastly, I don't get alot of requests for carrot cake...I believe carrot cake is most flavorful if baked a few days ahead for the flavors to strengthen- is this right? My recipe is very dense and moist. I sure appreciate any input!! This is for a friend of my husband's wife and I want it to be great.

4 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #2 of 5

I actually can't give you any advice about your cake questions, but I do have to say that your cakes are beautiful!

Also, isn't the friend of your husband's wife a friend of yours...since (presumably) you are your husband's wife? icon_razz.gif

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 5

icon_smile.gif I guess I didn't write that quite right...

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:39am
post #4 of 5

I just did a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. My frosting recipe does not call for crisco, it's butter, cream cheese, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. I frosted it the night before delivery and it crusted a bit. I used a hot knife to smooth it. I baked the cake on Sunday for Tuesday delivery. Hope that helps!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 5

I always refrigerate my cakes...but anyway I make pumpkin cake quite a bit with cream cheese filling...then regular buttercream on the outside under the fondant....then just have them take it out 2-4 hours before serving and serve at room temp. Actually though I think pumpkin and carrot cakes do taste best cool, although not completely cold. Other flavors I definitely like room temp.

And yes I do think wrapping a carrot or pumpkin cake and refrigerating or freezing it a day or two makes it more flavorful and moist. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%