Help!! Trying To Fix Color...need Darker Red

Decorating By tracylynn2005 Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm by NancyS

tracylynn2005 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 4

I am making fondant roses using the red color of the Satin Ice fondant. After adding a little tylose powder to it...it turned sortof an orangey red. I really wanted them to be like a deep dark red, almost burgandy. Is there a way to do that?? Maybe painting or airbrushing them?? Any ideas???? Thanks!!!

3 replies
prterrell Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 4

Americolor makes a burgundy gel. You can either add that to the fondant now or wait until the flowers are dry and paint that on (mix the gel with vodka/everclear or clear vanilla/lemon extract).

Texas_Rose Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 4

I just made some red roses recently. I used Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe and made it a nice vivid red, but when the roses dried, they looked like a dull dark pink, so I ended up painting them with a mix of Wilton's no-taste red and vodka (used that red because Americolor super red dries way darker than it looks and I was afraid I'd end up with black roses icon_biggrin.gif ). The color deepened as they dried. Here's a picture of them: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1459128

NancyS Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 4

Airbrushing would work as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%