350 People! Wow

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 12:58am by sweetneice

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 12

I know it may not seem like a lot to some, but I have a bride who wants to do a 4 tier cake feeding 350. When I broke it down, we only came close to 280. I told her we can do some sheet cakes, etc to accomodate the other servings and she was pleased with that idea, but is there a way you can accomodate that in a 4tier? I used the 16" as the base when I counted it out.

11 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 12

just a tip - never forget to see what size pan will actually fit in your oven! if you are a home baker, 16 inches is usually pushing it.

also remember the distinction between 'sheet cake' and 'kitchen cake'. kitchen cake is simply decorated outside to be similar to the main cake, but the insides are identical, and priced like the main cake. a sheet cake (technicaly) is not as high as the main cake (inch or two), simple outside, and on the inside - only one or two layers, and priced cheaper.

to actually help though, i wouldnt like to figure out the sizing on bigger cakes for you, i dont think it would be right, but im sure someone on here knows!

my thought is a display with satellite cakes - a couple of 6's or 8's to make up the numbers and keep 'wow'.

or, you know when you have your tiered cake, but you put a lot of little rounds underneath it? (like jackie and heaths wedding cake!).

good luck icon_smile.gif
xx

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 12

10,12,14,16 square tiers would give you 348 according to Wilton's chart. It would look short and squatty, but it will give you the # you need.

6,10,14,18 squares would be 328 svgs. Add one 8X8 kitchen cake and you'd have 360 svgs. total. This would be more pleasing to the eye.

sweetneice Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the suggestion and the help

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 12

Is she stuck on having 4 tiers?? Or does she want to cut the costs by not having a huge cake?

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 12

I use Earlene's Cake serving chart - she apparently found a flaw in the Wilton chart, so I always use hers and it has never failed me yet! When you try to find your numbers, match it to the pan sizes she has in the last column. Remember that your top tier usually isn't counted in the number of servings, as the bride and groom generally keep it, so choose your servings from the bride cake column. Hope that helps a bit. I had some trouble understanding the chart at first, so if you have any questions I might be able to help.

http://earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

Sorry, I just realized that her servings don't go as high as you need, so I was no help at all!

sweetneice Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 12

Yes she is dead set on 4 round tiers. I tried to suggest square, and other options but she was stuck on the 4 rounds

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 12

20, 16, 14, 12 rounds are 345 servings (per earlenes chart) You can buy 1/2 rounds of the 20" pan.

sweetneice Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks Loucinda and DetailsbyDawn thanks for the input because I'm SURE I can use it for future orders!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 12

that's gonna look like one WIDE cake.........I would just go with like a 6,9,12,15 rounds and have the cake look normal and then make it up in kitchen cakes (double layered sheetcakes decorated exactlly like the main cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 12

I'd do the 6/10/14/18. Close enough. She'll have a few no-sohws.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS use the Wilton chart. It provides *plenty* of cake and you make more $. Earlene's chart cause you to give away free cake. Never a good idea.

And I *always* use a 6" for the top tier. it's what the florist will expect if s/he is creating a floral topper.

sweetneice Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:58am
post #12 of 12

Thanks leah_s

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%