Shipping A Handbag Cake

Decorating By Lett Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm by SugarFrosted

Lett Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 13

HELP! Has anyone shipped a handbag cake? if so, could you please share with me how it was packaged etc to get there in one piece. thank you so much!

12 replies
jobueno Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 13

Well Lett, i don't think there is a way of shipping a decorated cake of any kind and having it get there intact. I have been searching on this topic for some time now and can't find any one company will to do the job. Sorry I can't help you maybe someone else has an idea that would work for you. I would really like to know how to do this too.

tanya1120 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 13

If I were you I wouldn't ship a cake. Considering I work for a shipping company. There is no possible way that a box will stay "this end up" all through its journey to get to its destination. I see boxes everyday with "this end up" on it all the time and half the time they are laying on its side or upside down. But who knows you make get lucky and it get there still enacted.

RobzC8kz Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 13

I researched this same topic for my cousin who wanted me to send a simple 8" round cake to him for his wife's birthday.

Here's what Fed-Ex told me.

The cake must be shipped frozen and kept frozen by dry ice. You must first put the frozen cake into a snug fitting box, then place said box into a special shipping cooler that you can buy from Fed-Ex.

It must be sent priority overnight.

There is no guarantee, written or implied, that it will be handled with care. Putting fragile stickers will likely ensure it's kicked and stomped all around the warehouse before it's put on the plane.

All in all, to ship an 8" round cake, using Fed-Ex approved shipping methods, it will run you $135.00 MINIMUM in shipping and handling.

And the cake will arrive beat ta heck and gone.

I concluded that it's not worth the hassle.

Lett Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you all for your responses but the customer is insisting even after i explained all of that. So I am shipping on Friday October 9 to arrive on October 10 wish me luck and I will let you know what happens. I have the special cooler and boxes that I have ordered from a shipping company. Thanks again

Lett Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 13

HI EVERYONE:

THE (2) HANDBAG CAKES A L.VUITTON AND FENDI BAG I MADE HAS REACHED FLORIDA IN ONE PIECE.

I ORDERED A COOLER KIT FROM A PACKAGING COMPANY THAT CAME WITH A COOLER, GEL PACKS AND THE BOX MARKED PERSHIBABLE. I MADE THE CAKES AND REFRIGERATED THEM THEN WRAPPED THEM IN PLASTIC WRAP AND FROZE THEM IN THE FREEZER OVERNIGHT THE MORNING I WAS SHIPPING I PLACED THE FROZEN GEL PACKS AROUND THE CAKES AND WRAPPED THEM IN BUBBLE WRAP FOR PROTECTION. I USED EXPRESS MAIL VIA THE POST OFFICE WHICH COST $63 FED EX WANTED $114.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WONDERFUL SUGGESTIONS AND GUIDANCE. MY HEART WAS IN MY HAND. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE.

saberger Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 13

I am so glad it worked for you! May I ask where you ordered the cooler kit from? And I assume the cakes were covered in fondant? Did you bubble wrap the cake as well or just the gel packs? Was the cake snug in the box?

Sorry for so many questions, but I would like to send my ds a cake for her bday in Nov.

Thanks

Lett Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you. I ordered from cameron packaging. the website is: www.cameronpackaging.com I ordered the 13 X 11 X 10 foam insultated shippig kit with dehydrated gel ice packs. the cake was covered in fondant and i bubble wrapped the inside of the cooler and in between the cakes I put two in one cooler they were small and i bubble wrapped the gel packs just in case it busted open and if it hit the cake it won't be too hard so the bubble wrap cushioned it. if you send me your email i can email you the photos of the cakes.

Jannie92869 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:07pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for the information Lett. I would like to see the photos that you have.

Thank you

Lett Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 13

Hi Jannie

I have the photos under my photos.

Jannie92869 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you.

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 13

You are the bravest person I know and your cakes ROCK! thumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 13

I'd like to see pictures of how the cakes looked AFTER they were frozen, shipped, unpacked and defrosted. That would be the real example of success.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%