Can I Just Use A Box Mix?

Decorating By Gaiter Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm by schwartzie1210

Gaiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gaiter Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 8

Making a grooms cake out of 4- 9x13's (it will be 9"x26"x4"), covering it with fondant and decorations.... I've gotta cook the cakes today so i can do all the decorations tomorrow since i don't have time on friday to do anything.... can i just use box mixes from the store, are they too moist?

(half my problem is deciding what flavor)

or does any have a recipe they would suggest since i'm doing the actual baking 3days out

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 8

Box mixes are fine...just be sure they are good and cold when covering with fondant.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 8

Box mixes are great. Just make sure the cakes have cooled completely like KiddieKakes said.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 8

Of course you can use a box mix.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 8

Like everyone said, it's definitely fine. You will recognize that a lot of people here in CC use straight box mix. It's just the matter of support.

Gaiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gaiter Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:34am
post #6 of 8

Thanks, I rarely use box mixes, (well except for one special recipe) but i'm short on time so can't do homemade, so i guess thats why i was nervous.... can't wait to post pictures of the finished cake, its for a wedding, calling it the grooms cake so it doesn't upstage the wedding cake too much, but its for both of them, and they don't know what its going to look like!!!!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 8

I use box mixes almost exclusively! I have scratch recipes and custom flavors, but most people order the same ole vanilla, chocolate, etc. and there's no better way to save money and time then by using a good quality box mix!

schwartzie1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schwartzie1210 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 8

I always used boxed cake mixes. Duncan hines and Pillsbury seem to hold up the best. Baking two days ahead is usually my schedule especially if they are to be covered with fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%