Recipe For A "sturdy Cake"?

Baking By Agamemnonsmom Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 5:39pm by 2SchnauzerLady

Agamemnonsmom Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 7

I think I need a sturdy cake for my bottom tier (3 tiers total). I was thinking about a carrot cake but don't know how the cream cheese frosting would look next to the buttercream frosting on the second and third tier. I will be coloring the frostings orange if that makes a difference.

Any other suggestions for a cake that will be sturdy enough to hold up the other tiers? I'll being using a box mix, one chocolate and one white, for the other 2 tiers

Thanks!!

6 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 7

You can try the enhanced cake mixes in the recipe section - a lot of us use the WASC recipe and its variations. Someone will come along with a google document that has the variations in it. WASC is a nice cake for stacking. The most important thing is proper support. What support system will you be using for your tiers?

2SchnauzerLady Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 7

Here is the document for the WASC variations.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

msulli10 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 7

Sugarshack (Sharon Z) has a great recipe for her topsy turvy cakes. I think it's a doctored cake mix, but it also has pudding in it. It's a very firm cake so it can handle all the weight of the other cakes on top of it (plus she coats it with ganache and then fondant). I don't have the recipe in front of me, but if you pm me, I will be happy to give it to you later.

Agamemnonsmom Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 7

I bought the Wilton plastic supports to cut to size yesterday. I plan to use those with cardboard for two tiers and then wooden dowel rods for the 6" tier. I'm doing 10", 8", and 6". This is my first cake time doing this.

Is it okay to use a sturdy cake for the bottom and a lighter cake for the top 2 tiers?

thanks!

Agamemnonsmom Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 7

okay, I just looked at the WASC recipe. Will any white cake mix work? Pudding in the mix or no?

I pulled up the Buttercream Dream recipe. Is this one good to use with this cake?

Thanks!

2SchnauzerLady Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 7

Pretty much Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines seem to be the favs on this site, but I recently asked about Pillsbury (it was on sale) with the pudding in the mix and someone said they had good success with it. I've never used the buttercream dream recipe. I use indydebi's buttercream since it holds up well in heat and humidity - and when you live on the Southeast coast.........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%