Questions About Freezing Cakes And More- Long

Decorating By DMJ69 Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 1:01pm by Steelgoddess

DMJ69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMJ69 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 2

Hi,

This is my first post. I have been reading alot of the post and getting great information. I have several questions about baking a 4 layer wedding cake (12,10,8,6) All tiers will be different flavors (12 will be my basic butter cake with buttercream, 10 will be white chocolate cake, raspberry filling and white chocolate frosting, 8 & 6 will be chocolate cake with oreo cookie filling) and covered in MMF with gold buttercream beading. I will also be making a dragon grooms cake (sample in my photos) this will be red velvet with buttercream dyed green.

I have to go in for neck surgery 4 weeks before the wedding (which is Nov. 14th and for my brother + I'm in the wedding)

So my questions are;
1. Can I make the cakes beginning of October and freeze them. And should I freeze them on a cake board so they don't change shape? I have frozen cookies and cupcakes before and they have tasted great. I'm nervous about the cakes.
2. How do I get gold buttercream?
3. Would the Sps system be easier than dowels with the fondant cake.
I will be making all my gumpaste flowers and scales starting next week, how should I store them to dry so they don't break.

Thank you in advance

1 reply
Steelgoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steelgoddess Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 2

i can't answer all your questions, I think freezing would depend on the ingrediants of the cake but normally a cake can be cooled and frozon on the day and will be fine for a mth or a little longer in a deep frezer...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%