Aussie Ccers: Who Got Dusty Today?

Lounge By mcaulir Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 5:09am by lthiele

mcaulir Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:35am
post #1 of 16

It was pretty yuck here for a little while. Did anyone have any dramas?

15 replies
Elise87 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:08am
post #2 of 16

I live in melb, but saw on the news footage of sydney covered in dust and the bright red/orange sky in the morning, crazy!

To anyone that was in it, was the morning really that red/orange standing in it as they showed on tv?

mcaulir Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 16

I'm not in Sydney, but the sky was red here for an hour or so. The whole house glowed red.

-Tubbs Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 16

They showed it on our news here! It looked very spooky. Hope everyone was ok.

jules06 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 16

We got the dust here yesterday afternoon & I had to drive down to Brissie in it !! wasn't as red as it was in Sydney though icon_smile.gif

Mensch Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:19am
post #6 of 16

I'm nowhere near Australia, but I saw pictures of all that red dust! I hope everyone is okay.

xstitcher Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:34am
post #7 of 16

Apparently it could be seen from space as well. Very freaky looking footage we saw on the news here.

mcaulir Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:10am
post #8 of 16

No-one was injured, I don't think. Because there's been no rain where it all came from, the weather people are saying with the same winds it might happen again in the next few days. But my car has been washed now!

Elise87 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:41am
post #9 of 16

I can't believe people were out jogging and breathing in all that dust! Some aussies will just jog in anything or any weather.

Jen80 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:55am
post #10 of 16

It even managed to find it's way to us! Near Cairns. Not so thick, not so red. But tastes like you're driving along a dirt road with all the windows down. It got here yesterday and is still here today.

Elise87 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:16am
post #11 of 16

last time we had a bad dust storm in melbourne was in the 1983 before i was born

Sparklepop Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:11am
post #12 of 16

Well I don't remember a dust storm like that and we get to look forward to having another one tomorrow icon_eek.gif . Thank goodness we didn't clean the cars icon_lol.gif . Though the pool is looking pretty weird but don't want to clean it until after the next dust storm. It was pretty much like looking through the world in yellow/red glasses pretty strange. There has been some pretty good pictures on MSN and other websites absolutely amazing.
Well can't wait to see what tomorrow brings icon_rolleyes.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #13 of 16

Okay, I have just found my computer through all the dust!!! LOL - no seriously, it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen - scary and strange, but amazing. We are high on a hill which over looks Sydney and I could see nothing from our bedroom window but this very strange orange/red glow - it was almost spooky, there was not much wind and it was like everything had stopped. I could barely see my neighbours roof

My kids were amazed by it and so was I!

lthiele Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:08am
post #14 of 16

I live 2 hours north of Sydney and this was the view in our back yard. The kids came running in and said "Mum the sun has turned blue!" I kept my son home from school. The wind was pretty fierce up here too. My poor hubby is the facilities manager at a resort which has the longest swimming pool in Australia. He spent an entire day after the storm vacuuming and still didn't get if finished!

adree313 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #15 of 16

that's so unbelievable! it was all over the news here, too. it must have been insane and eerie to witness!

lthiele Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:09am
post #16 of 16

Eerie is the right word. The blue light coming from the sun made all the cars look like they had been dusted with blue luster dust! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%