Buttercream Melting Under Fondant Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By NiderVille Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm by __Jamie__

NiderVille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiderVille Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:14am
post #1 of 6

I just worked very hard on a cake for a Baby Shower tomorrow. My buttercream frosting is melting under the fondant! Any suggestions??? HELP!!

5 replies
Steelgoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steelgoddess Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:08am
post #2 of 6

is it in a cool place? You can't put it in the fridge, im unsure what you can do tbh...
x

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 6

First let's address the underlying (pun intended) issue of the melting buttercream.

More than likely, you did not add enough powdered sugar in your buttercream which is causing it to be too soft and unable to support the weight of the fondant covering.

You're going to have to experiment with your BC recipe to find the right consistency. All you have to do is add more PS, and if it's too stiff to spread, add a bit of water, and so and so forth until it's stiff, but spreadable.

If it's literally "melting," you may have to adjust the butter/shortening ratios for higher temperatures. But if it's merely sagging under the weight of the fondant, adding more PS will firm it up just fine.

Once your get your BC down, it should be able to support the added weight of your fondant without slipping, sagging, or "melting."

Also, don't freeze a BC covered cake then fondant it while it's still frozen. Condensation from thawing will create a layer of water between your fondant and BC and could cause it to slide right off. Minimally, condensation under your fondant will seep through the fondant and make it gooey and tacky.

Hope this was helpful!

Rob

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 6

Oh...sorry...forgot to address the issue at hand. You can try keeping it in the fridge to firm up the BC. But once it hits room temperature again, the problem will persist. Keep it in the fridge and set it up in a cool place with no direct sun exposure...then pray they cut it quickly...

Been there...done that... :0)

NiderVille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiderVille Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for your suggestions!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 6

And you absolutely can put a fondant covered cake in the fridge. ALL of mine go in the fridge. If there are decos that will droop or break, I don't add them until just before delivery time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%