Would Shortbread Work Instead Of Rolled Sugar Cookie?

Baking By brittalicious Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm by cylstrial

brittalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittalicious Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:56am
post #1 of 7

my bestfriends bgrampas birthday is coming up and i wanted to make him a cookie bouquet but he doesnt really like sugar cookies. Does anyone know if i could use short bread and if anyone has a recipe that would work for rolled shortbread? thank you!

6 replies
DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:23am
post #2 of 7

The recipe that I always use is probably very close to a shortbread. I get raves for it, since most people feel that iced sugar cookies are too sweet. My DH loves these even without the icing. I believe I got the recipe from Peggy Porschen.

Shortbread Cookies

400 g. butter, softened
400 g. sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
800 g. flour
2 t. vanilla extract
2 t. almond extract

1.   Cream butter, sugar and extract until well mixed and creamy. Do not overwork.
2.  Beat in egg until well combined. Add flour and mix on low speed until a dough forms. Gather into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and chill at least 1 hour.
3.  Place dough on floured surface and knead briefly. Using ¼ inch guides, roll to an even thickness.
4.  Use cutters to cut shapes. Chill again for about 30 minutes.
5.  Preheat oven to 350. Make sure oven reaches temp before baking.
6.  Bake cookies 8-12 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.

brittalicious Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 7

thanks vstar_pilot so muchicon_biggrin.gif i will try these out

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 7

shortbread are not made with eggs thus they would not hold up to a bouquet, too delicate

brittalicious Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 7

thats what i had thought:S but could they work not in a bouquet Patty?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 7

all the short bread I make are very delicate and flaky, I think that is why people like them. I wouldn't put icing on them, it just wouldn't go together.
I have rolled my shortbread out into stars or circles or squares, bake and then when cool, dip 1/2 of the cookie into melted chocolate. If you would like the recipe, pm me

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstar_pilot

The recipe that I always use is probably very close to a shortbread. I get raves for it, since most people feel that iced sugar cookies are too sweet. My DH loves these even without the icing. I believe I got the recipe from Peggy Porschen.

Shortbread Cookies

400 g. butter, softened
400 g. sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
800 g. flour
2 t. vanilla extract
2 t. almond extract

1.   Cream butter, sugar and extract until well mixed and creamy. Do not overwork.
2.  Beat in egg until well combined. Add flour and mix on low speed until a dough forms. Gather into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and chill at least 1 hour.
3.  Place dough on floured surface and knead briefly. Using ¼ inch guides, roll to an even thickness.
4.  Use cutters to cut shapes. Chill again for about 30 minutes.
5.  Preheat oven to 350. Make sure oven reaches temp before baking.
6.  Bake cookies 8-12 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.

Thanks for sharing! I have been looking for a shortbread recipe. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%