How To Stack A Cake With Small Rounds As Base?

Decorating By chryscrazy Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 2:16am by Jeff_Arnett

chryscrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11 replies
chryscrazy Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 12

Anyone? Even without a sketch?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 12

Found this on Wilton's site.

HTH!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 12

I'd like to know too. I've seen it done, but I can't figure it out.

chryscrazy Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks prterrell. I actually have that center column stand and know how to do it with the 4 arm base, but I want to make it stacked without seperation.

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 12

The first thing that you do is bake the bottom rounds, place on whatever bases/plates you will use, frost/fondant, whatever you have to do to get an exact measurement of height. Go to Home Depot and have a wooden block cut that will fit underneath to hold the 14" cake up. You will also dowel the bottom cakes. Cover the wooden block with foil/wax paper. It is actually very easy. I did one last summer and am doing another for a October 9th wedding. If you're still unsure, Wilton has this cake in their book, Tiered Cakes. That's where I learned how to create it. PM me if you have any questioins.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 12

I did my cake "Amanda" like that. I used the 20 inch plate and 5 inch pillars. I set the cakes(4 3/4 inches tall) in the spaces inbetween the pillars. I also used a few of the 5 inch pillars in the middle of the 20 inch plate glued in place. It would have worked perfect if we did not change they size of the base cakes last minute.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 12

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Romantic-Ripples-Cake

Instrustions from wilton site for similar cake

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 12

I think I saw using a cake dummy under the cake to hold it all up. It should be the same height as the smaller cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

I think I saw using a cake dummy under the cake to hold it all up. It should be the same height as the smaller cakes.

I did that on one of my cakes. Worked perfectly.

Another method is to set the small cakes close together. Lay a cardboard the size of the next upper tier over the cakes to mark where the cake will sit. Place support dowels in the small cakes, inside the marked circle, then just set the large tier on top of the dowels. This obviously must be assembled on site, but this works, too. No special stand required. Of course the upper tier must be a pretty big one as it really needs to cover at least half the small cakes surfaces (so the dowels aren't right on the edge of the cake for stability.)

chryscrazy Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #11 of 12

Thanks guys! I like the look of it with the next tier covering most of the smaller rounds- it almost looks like a petal pan that way.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chryscrazy

How do you stack like this? Anyone know where there is a sketch? Thanks!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1468905

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1181809

Generally, you place a styrofoam dummy about 4 inches smaller in diameter than the tier to be placed above the small rounds, making sure the dummy is the same height as the little cakes.

If the cake is pretty heavy, you can insert a series of dowels into the dummy to keep the weight of the cake from crushing the styrofoam.

The little cakes are really not supporting anything! You then just slide them into place and pipe borders or place flowers in the seams.

Sylvia Weinstock uses a wooden support made with 2 masonite rounds attached to a four-armed cross-shaped wooden frame....but her cakes are often huge and very heavy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%