What To Use As A Binder For Lemon Cake Balls

Baking By MissyTex Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 1:14pm by 2SchnauzerLady

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:14am
post #1 of 19

Anyone have any ideas for lemon cake balls? I don't want to use frosting. I don't like mixing frosting with cake crumbs for my cake balls. I've only made chocolate cake balls in the past. I usually use hazel nut coffee creamer or Baileys and lots of melted choc chips to bind the mixture. I guess I could just use vanilla candy melts. I just thought I should use more than that. Thanks.

18 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #2 of 19

You could try lemon curd.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:40am
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

You could try lemon curd.

I was going to suggest the same thing!! Or Limoncello Liqueur?

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:12am
post #4 of 19

Ditto with the lemon curd but the first thing that came to my mind was white chocolate ganache.

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:54am
post #5 of 19

dont underestimate the power of philidelphia creamcheese. Im not a cake decorator but I do cake balls for a living, and in the majority of my cake ball flavors? All my binder is is philidephia cream cheese. Not cream cheese frosting, just the cheese. To me, and my customers, it tastes amazing (personal tastes). Cake balls are already so sweet being cake and dipped in chocolate, the cream cheese alone without frosting makes them to me anyway much more enjoyable. I do have other binders for different flavors, but mostly its just cream cheese. Ive made lemon cake before and used cream cheese and dipped in white choc and it was pretty good. But I love that lemon curd suggestion yum. is that somethine you buy or make? Sorry I dont know what that is.
Try a little bit just with cream cheese and let me know what you think. I find them already so sweet when Iuse plain old cream cheese I cant imagine them being much sweeter and enjoyable...but thats just my personal taste!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 19

three_sets (God bless you first of all for having 3 sets, but anyhow), do you melt the cream cheese or just let it come to room temp? How much do you use? I LOVE cream cheese!! never tried it in cake balls though

three_sets_of_twins Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 19

no honey dont melt it at all. just open up the tub, dump it into your crumbs and mix with your hands. add more or less creamcheese according to the consistancy you like. Then roll. I always freeze my cake balls though, makes a much better looking end result. No puddles or broken bits on the finished product.

letsgetcaking Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 19

I love the cream cheese idea! I think cake balls are really cute, but I agree with them being very, VERY sweet when you use frosting. I'll have to try the cream cheese.

You can buy or make lemon curd. It usually comes in a glass jar, near the jams and jellies. I've never made it, but here's a link to a recipe.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/LemonCurd.html

three_sets_of_twins Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 19

thanks for the info on the curd! and if ya ever try the cream cheese send me a message and let me know what you think! I swear it tastes amazing.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 19

Ooooh, I never thought of cream cheese. I think I'll give that a try. I didn't want to use lemon curd because I don't want them super tart. I want them a light lemon flavor. I already baked the cake. It is de-lish! I baked several lemon cakes last week for practice while I was home on vacation and one came out of the pan in pieces so I decided...cake balls!

If I use cream cheese won't I have to keep them in the fridge?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #11 of 19

I haven't made cake balls before because they sounded soooo sweet! I'll be making them next week after reading this thread - I never thought of using lemon curd - I make my own lemon curd with a recipe I got on the food network by Ina Garten. I have regular WASC cake scraps - that should be a nice light lemon flavor. I might try a few with the cream cheese too. Three_sets_of_twins - would you add any flavoring to cream cheese and white WASC cake balls? Also, for all of you, what coating would you use for these flavors? White chocolate?

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:35pm
post #12 of 19

The lemon curd combo sounds yummy!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 19

[/quote]

I was going to suggest the same thing!! Or Limoncello Liqueur?[/quote]

Where do you all get the limoncello liqueur? I have only found lemon extract.

Thanks!

three_sets_of_twins Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #14 of 19

well when it comes to flavorings im very limited in options where I live, but yes Ive added some extracts and liquid flavors before..(like pineapple flavor to vanilla cake when in a rush). And I think white chocolate would be great! Even milk chocolate would taste nice. Will definately look for lemon curd. might add a new flavor to the menu!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:52pm
post #15 of 19

I immediately thought White Chocolate either ganache or creamer.

letsgetcaking Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:20am
post #16 of 19

I think I'd use the white chocolate, too.

I'm also wondering like a PP, do you need to keep them in the refrigerator if you use cream cheese?

three_sets_of_twins Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:45am
post #17 of 19

oh sorry.
Yes, I keep them in the fridge when theyre not being eaten, or freeze them.
Wouldnt it be the same though when you use cream cheese frosting?

letsgetcaking Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #18 of 19

Thanks for the information. Good point about the cream cheese frosting, too. I guess those probably should stay refrigerated as well. I think it's about time to make some more cake balls. Yum!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:14pm
post #19 of 19

OK, I tried the cake balls with WASC. My binder was a mixture of cream cheese and lemon curd, dipped in white chocolate - everyone flipped over them - delicious. It was a nice light lemon taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%