Covering Cakes In Fondant

Decorating By KarolynAndrea Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 3:27am by Rylan

KarolynAndrea Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #1 of 6

Are you supposed to put a cake in the fridge with a coat of BC to get cold before you apply fondant? I've noticed on tv that the people on there usually take cakes out of the fridge before they cover them.

5 replies
Jeff_Arnett Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:28am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarolynAndrea

Are you supposed to put a cake in the fridge with a coat of BC to get cold before you apply fondant? I've noticed on tv that the people on there usually take cakes out of the fridge before they cover them.

I think you'll find that most decorators do just that. Fill and crumb coat our cake, chill it until firm then cover with fondant.....the firm icing underneath the fondant helps you get smooth sides and nice edges.

sew4children Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 6

I refridgerate mine before covering with fondant. It keeps the buttercream nice and firm for smoothing the fondant.

DDiva Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 6

Same here. I even pop it in the freezer for a few minutes if the cake has been out of the fridge longer than I want.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #5 of 6

I'm taking a fondant class and my instructor insisted that the buttercream be fresh and not crusted so that the fondant would adhere. Is there any truth to this at all since everyone else seems to say the opposite. How would the fondant adhere in that case?

Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #6 of 6

I put it in the fridge as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%