Whats The Best Flower To Cover The Top Of A Cake?

Decorating By Saharan1965 Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 11:12am by brincess_b

Saharan1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saharan1965 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:05am
post #1 of 2

Im making my cousin a baptism cake for her daughter this weekend and I want to cover the top of the tiers with flowers, either buttercream or fondant. Which ones should I do? The cake is lavender, silver, and pearl. Im quilting the sides and I want to cover the tops with the flowers and drape them over the sides. Preferably on the corners since its a square cake. I like how this cake was done.
http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs29/f/2008/178/7/b/lilac_butterfly_cake_by_ilexiapsu.jpg

Also, I bought a really pretty crystal vase that I want to use to separate the tiers instead of the classic columns, how do I secure that to the cake without any mishaps?
Im doing 2 squares, the vase, then 2 rounds I believe. The vase is about 6-8 inches in diameter on top. Its like an exaggerated hour glass shape. [/img]

1 reply
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:12am
post #2 of 2

i think a basic blossom looks very pretty, just any regular 5 or 6 petal cutter (the ones i have are rose and jasmine, which i use just for a 'flower').

those ones in that picture im thinking are rose buds.

no real advice on the vase, is it wide on the bottom? what size are the top cakes? you would need to dowel underneath it, so the wider the bottom of the vase, the easier it will be!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%