Box Cake Mix Base...

Baking By Mug-a-Bug Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 3:35pm by Mug-a-Bug

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:20am
post #1 of 7

I make my cakes from a box and they are okay, but not that great. At first they were dry so I started adding some applesauce and using simple syrup. That sure did moisten them but they are still just "okay". I really don't want to start making scratch cakes (just not my thing). Any tips on what I can do to a box cake to make it even yummier?? Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #2 of 7

I always use melted butter instead of oil. Some people use mild instead of water, but I haven't had much luck with that. Lately I have been doctoring almost every box mix with 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of sour cream, and a pinch of salt. Works wonders, and I get a full 4+ inches of cake out of one box! (It does have to cook a bit longer, though.)

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:05am
post #3 of 7

I use box cake mix i prefer the cake mix with pudding. I like to add vanilla and almond flavoring to my cake mix along with oil i find that my cakes are more moist than with butter. I'm always asked what recipe did i use for my cakes.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #4 of 7

You might try other brands of cake mix to see if they might not be so dry. My family loves Aldi brand chocolate cake mix. Their white and yellow mixes are good too.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 7

Have you tried the *original* WASC cake recipe? The basic recipe can be used with any box mix flavor.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:32am
post #6 of 7

try the "cake mix doctor" she has a lot of suggestions, and I found it at the library. I use the white recipe from her Charleston poppy seed cake- yogurt, buttermilk, oil and whole eggs.
I also use the original WASC and love it!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%