How Does Wilton Fondant Taste?

Decorating By d12bn Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 10:32pm by kansaswolf

d12bn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d12bn Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:13am
post #1 of 22

I've read its not very good but with a 50% off coupon for Micheal's, just wondering at that price if its worth a try?

By the way I have no experience with any fondant besides the one time I made some and it was to much work.

Thanks

21 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:24am
post #2 of 22

The taste is awful I perfer Satin Ice or I like to make my own

Molly

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:24am
post #3 of 22

It tastes like a spill in a nuclear waste facility. Really. It's awful.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:34am
post #4 of 22

I'm gonna go with awful too. However, if you're just wanting to give it a try to see how it works and play around with it, I say give it a go! It's wonderful to work with, just not tasty. Get some, perfect a few techniques, toss it... icon_wink.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:37am
post #5 of 22

I agree

awful to eat thumbsdown.gif

fun to play with thumbs_up.gif

jamalyn1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamalyn1 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:39am
post #6 of 22

It just tastes awful, but with the 50% coupon it is good to just play with and work on new things you've wanted to try or practice getting the right colors. I love Satin Ice and Fondex

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #7 of 22

Imagine sweetened play-doh. Exactly like that...yuck.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:45am
post #8 of 22

wallpaper paste

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:57am
post #9 of 22

I agree the taste is awful. I use wilton fondant for practice covering or decorating a dummy cake.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:58am
post #10 of 22

Kassie hit the nail right on the head, chewy playdoh. However, if you have the coupon and can practise with dummies I would highly recommend at least trying it once. 1/2 price is 1/2 price and if you get frustrated at least you didn't go out and spend a fortune. Also making your own takes some practise and Satin Ice, although yummy, can get expensive if you are just practising.

Have fun and keep trying!!
Shannie

missjessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjessica Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:06am
post #11 of 22

I don't care for the taste either, but it is nice to work with. I agree, buy some at that great price and practice with it. I use it in a pinch for decorations, but never to cover a cake.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #12 of 22

My Experience:

1. For my first fondant covered cake 8 years ago I used Wilton. My mom's 50th birthday. NO ONE ate it. They ALL peeled it off. icon_sad.gif
2. Did my SIL's baby shower cake in homemade MMF a couple weeks ago. Almost EVERYONE ate it. icon_smile.gif (Yeah, I was watching, just to see... icon_wink.gif )

I personally do not like the taste of Wilton's at all (even after kneading in extracts for flavor). BUT, it was great to work with! Very easy to roll out and smooth. thumbs_up.gif

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #13 of 22

I don't think it's that bad, but I wouldn't offer it to anyone to eat. I use it mostly for decorative pieces on a cake that I know people generally won't eat, and it comes in handy to cover a cake board.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:19am
post #14 of 22

The smell reminds me of new tires. Very much has a chemical taste to it.

bemecheli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bemecheli Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:21am
post #15 of 22

icon_biggrin.gif I'm new to bakeing cakes and I've made cakes for friends, i bought wilton b/c of the 50% cupon. I would tell people it's edible but i dont like it. So I would scan the room and everybody eats the cake and butter cream but not the fondant. I tried MMF for the first time it's easy tast great and less than 5 bucks. You should try it and who doesnt like marshmalows.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:24am
post #16 of 22

Like rubber dog poop. And with the same consistency!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:27am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

I agree

awful to eat thumbsdown.gif

fun to play with thumbs_up.gif

LOL sort of like Playdoh! icon_biggrin.gif

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #18 of 22

It tastes like garbage. I would never ever ever use it on a cake that I was selling EVER! icon_cry.gif

For that mater I would never use it on a cake that I was going to give away either.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:33am
post #19 of 22

It really does make me sick to my stomach! I can't even stand to smell the stuff. I can't believe it's supposed to be edible!!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:38am
post #20 of 22

Cutthecake has the best description of the taste of Wilton fondant - I would rather use nothing than cover a cake with that poohicon_sad.gif There's no way I'd be able to give a cake to someone that I wouldn't dare eat myself.

d12bn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d12bn Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm
post #21 of 22

Well sounds like everyone likes it so I'm on my way to buy some. Thanks for your comments. I'm sure everyone will love it as well.

Ha just kidding, I'm making a birthday cake and will not put something that taste bad on a cake. So its either some piping or maybe I'll try making some MM fondant.

Wish you'll would have had a different opinion but it is what it is.

Thanks

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:32pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemecheli

I tried MMF for the first time it's easy tast great and less than 5 bucks. You should try it and who doesnt like marshmalows.

I, actually, don't like marshmallows... icon_lol.gif But I've never tried MMF either, so I can't give an opinion on that! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%