Real Butter Buttercream Recipe For Decorating?

Baking By GrammyT Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 1:43am by cylstrial

GrammyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrammyT Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have a delicious recipe for buttercream which is made with all or mostly butter and stiff enough for decorating? I really don't like Crisco-based decorating icings...even with the addition of butter flavoring it just tastes so artificial and, IMHO, can diminish the overall taste experience of a great cake.

Also, does anyone use buttercream to frost their cake then decorate with a crisco-buttercream?

Thanks,

Tonya

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 9

I ice and decorate with Italian Meringue Buttercream. Lots of CC-ers ice and decorate with Swiss Merinuge Buttercream. Neither are made with crisco.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 9

i use a half butter/half crisco a lot and everyone likes it (i'm in the midwest and i think there's a definite sweet preference) i'm dying to try a swiss meringue buttercream though. i think that's the one that doesn't use egg whites, whereas i think italian meringue does. with my regular bc recdipe i also add some almond flavoring to it.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 9

I've done a basket weave with Buttercream Dream from this website. I had to use 2 bags. When the bag in my had started to get loose from my body heat I put it in the fridge and used the other one. Had to keep switching but the cake looked really nice and the frosting tasted great. icon_smile.gif

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 9

I use a straight butter and powdered sugar recipe - one pound of room temperature butter to one pound of powdered sugar with a splash of vanilla and maybe a touch of water if it seems too stiff. (to make chocolate, I add room temperature ganache or replace some powdered sugar with cocoa powder)

I haven't had a problem with it getting too soft in the bag... although you do need to make sure you don't use it in an outdoor summer wedding or a room where the AC isn't working.

It will be slightly yellow. If you whip up the butter cream (still using the paddle) on medium or high speed, the air added into it will whiten the color noticeably. Some people will also add a very small drop of violet to counteract the yellow.

Hope this helps!
Marci

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:00am
post #6 of 9

I do the same thing Marci does!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashcakes

i use a half butter/half crisco a lot and everyone likes it (i'm in the midwest and i think there's a definite sweet preference) i'm dying to try a swiss meringue buttercream though. i think that's the one that doesn't use egg whites, whereas i think italian meringue does. with my regular bc recdipe i also add some almond flavoring to it.

Both Italian and Swiss meringue buttercreams use egg whites. The difference is in the preparation. Italian meringue has a hot sugar syrup poured into the whipped whites which are then whipped further to make the meringue. Swiss meringue has the sugar and egg whites cooked together in a bain marie (aka double boiler) and then whipped to make the meringue.

missjessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjessica Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:19am
post #8 of 9

I also use Buttercream Dream (from the CC recipe section) and not only does it hold up, but I get tons of compliments on the taste! I like the idea of decorating with an all-shortening icing, but don't like the taste nearly as well as one made with real butter...mmm

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:43am
post #9 of 9

Buttercream Dream (as MissJessica suggested) might be your best bet. It combines real butter with crisco and is simply delicious!

I also love SMBC but it's not as easy to decorate with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%