Pvc Cake Support

Decorating By allibopp5 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 12:58am by gardenpaper

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 12

Can anyone explain to me how to make an internal cake support with pvc? Like on the cake challenges, the center pipe...? I've searched and can't find any info or directions on it...

11 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by allibopp5

Can anyone explain to me how to make an internal cake support with pvc? Like on the cake challenges, the center pipe...? I've searched and can't find any info or directions on it...

You really don't need a PVC support unless it is a huge cake....all it is is a length of PVC pipe with a flange fitting [all from the hardware store] screwed onto a wooden base.

For regular tiered cakes, I make the same thing with a 1/2 inch thick masonit board and a 1/2 or 3/4 inch dowel rod. You drill a small whole through the masonite board, a pilot hole in the end of the dowel, then apply some wood glue to the end of the dowel and use a small screw to attach if to the board....once the glue has dried you have an extremely stable stand.

I ice my tiers on same sized foamcore circles that I have already cut a center hole in [you can use an exacto knife but I bought the set of foam core drills from www.foamwerks.com and they are great!] and when ready to stack, I just slide the cake tier down over the dowel....it is automatically centered! DOn't forget to put your support dowels in each tier first though!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 12

Thanks Jeff, I always learn so much from you! I have been wanting to build one of these, but just could not find the info and now I do. thumbs_up.gif.
Thanks,
Hammy

Jeff_Arnett Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSquad

Thanks Jeff, I always learn so much from you! I have been wanting to build one of these, but just could not find the info and now I do. thumbs_up.gif.
Thanks,
Hammy

A week or so ago, someone posted a great diagram showing how to assemble this support....I don't remember who or what post it was under, but maybe they will read this post and remind us!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 12

Jeff has given good advice....get very friendly with folk in the plumbing section of your hardware store -- lots of "toys" for making cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:

Thanks,
Hammy

A week or so ago, someone posted a great diagram showing how to assemble this support....I don't remember who or what post it was under, but maybe they will read this post and remind us!

why yes, jeff I will....

it's in the template gallery: (hint -- bookmark it!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1420079.html

and here it is......again.....
LL

Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:02am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Jeff has given good advice....get very friendly with folk in the plumbing section of your hardware store -- lots of "toys" for making cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:

Thanks,
Hammy

why yes, jeff I will....

it's in the template gallery: (hint -- bookmark it!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1420079.html

and here it is......again.....

Thanks!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks Doug!
Hammy thumbs_up.gif

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:34am
post #8 of 12

Great info, thanks icon_biggrin.gif

ivymeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivymeister Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:05am
post #9 of 12

this is great info..thanks so much!

gardenpaper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gardenpaper Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 12

Anyone know where to find the round plastic plates that have holes In them and PVC pipe can fit through to create a base like for a t Rex cake structure?
Thanks for any help.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:52am
post #11 of 12

my husband said that you should be able to cut/drill a whole in the plastic cake plates with the right tool. Of course he hasn't cut any for me.. but he said it is possible.

or use severaal cake boards put together I always wrap them to moisture proof them.

I had a friend who had her cake fall because the cardboard cake board got damp and fell apart and thus no support.

I prefer to use thick foamcore, it is sturdy and isn't effected by moisture.

I think that the cake safe people sell plates with holes in them that they sell as replacements for there cake safe units. But I think on there website they also mention cutting/or drilling a hole in the wilton plates.

gardenpaper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gardenpaper Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:58am
post #12 of 12

Thanks for your input. I did purchase a Wilson plastic separator so I'll try my luck drilling that. Was hoping for a ready made solution icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%