What To Charge?

Decorating By cakesalot13 Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 9:21pm by LaBellaFlor

cakesalot13 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 11

I have a request for 70 individual cakes with some sort of decoration on each- was thinking of a poured fondant? What would be an appropriate price range, assuming the "individual cakes" "4 x 2" 3" x 3"?, - without getting into baking cupcakes...

10 replies
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 11

Your dimensions are confusing. Are you saying either a 4" round 2" high or a 3" round 3" high? Also, what flavor cake/filling? What kind of decoration? All of these would affect the price.

For a basic 3" round, 2" tall petit gateau (vanilla cake with buttercream filling, poured fondant and a rosebud deco), I'd charge at least $5 each. For a more complicated deco or more costly cake or filling, I'd charge $7-$10 each, depending on what they're wanting.

If they're wanting mini tiered cakes, I'd charge $15-$20 each for the basic and $20-$25 for more complicated/costly.

HTH!

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 11

Minimum cost for a mini cake is $10. They are work. I don't charge for extra for fillings, just decor. I covr in actual fondant. These cakes can quite pricey. I've seen them for as much as $35 a piece.

cakesalot13 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 11

sorry for the confusion, I was guessing at individual size of the cakes.

cakesalot13 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 11

I don't know where you're located LaBelle, but if I chared $10 per mini, I don't think I would ever get any return clients.

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 11

I'm in VA and if you can't get that, then I wouldn't do it. A cupcake averages $3 a piece and thats just a swirl of buttercream. Have you ever done a mini cake? Just do one in buttercream & one in fondant. Decorate them like you normally would. Then think of doing a 100 of them. You'll see why they charge so much.

leah_s Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 11

I'm totally with LaBelllaFlor because she's totally, completely correct. Those things go in the "big city" for $35 each. Individually decorated cakes are a VERY high-end cake. For a 3 tier mini with one (purchased) calla on top, I get $16. Do a few, and you'll understand. If someone's not willing to pay the price, then you don't want to do that order. If they can't afford it, suggest something else.

Upside down cupcakes with a "skirt" of fondant can be lovely. The "skirt" effect means you don't have to smooth the fondant. Easy. Fast. Pretty.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesalot13

I don't know where you're located LaBelle, but if I chared $10 per mini, I don't think I would ever get any return clients.

I probably couldn't sell any where I am either. Doesn't mean I'm going to accomodate any type of budget for them either. I am quite hissy about perfectly smooth frosting. Perfectly frosting 70 cakes would cost a lot from me. I wouldn't do them for less than 10 or 15 dollars.

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 11

And this is my expierence, if a bride REALLY wants it, she'll pay for it.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 11

The two tiered cake called 'Liquidity" in my pics was a 4" and 6". Served about 18. Cost = $100. Wouldn't dream of doing it cheaper. That 4" likes to slip around while smoothing and scraping. Very aggravating little curs. About as bad as trying to ice a dummy cake. icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

The two tiered cake called 'Liquidity" in my pics was a 4" and 6". Served about 18. Cost = $100. Wouldn't dream of doing it cheaper. That 4" likes to slip around while smoothing and scraping. Very aggravating little curs. About as bad as trying to ice a dummy cake. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_mad.gif And that is SO what it is. That cute lil' 4" sucker moving around that gets me! And then when I iced the bottom so it won't move on the table, I have to be super careful lifting so the buttercream or fondant doesn't crack... but then it's stuck on there pretty good. icon_mad.gif But they are cute though...and I don't mind doing them...just not for cheap! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%