Pirouette And Fruit Cake--A Couple Qs

Decorating By overindulged Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 1:29am by overindulged

overindulged Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a harvest cake w/pirouette around the edge... like this:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1263959Now would I need to put a layer of fondant so that the cookies doesn't get soggy on the buttercream?? I'm planning on making these the night before... so it may sit for 24 hours. or Should I forego the fondant and just use BC--the latest I can put the cookies on is 5 hours before the event.

Another question regarding the fruit--I cannot go to the event so I'm planning on making the sugared fruit and putting it on top right before they pick it up. First, how do I coat the fruit in crystallized sugar. Next question-would the sugar melt during the 5 hours before the event?
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=626083

4 replies
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 5

Could you possibly use ganache to attach the cookies?

At Publix, they had us dip the fruit in simple syrup and then roll around in large crystal sugar for the sugard fruit that went on some of the groom's cakes. Not sure how well that held up over time, I would think it would make berries weep at the very least. I would think coating in pasturized egg whites or reconstituted meringue powder and then coating in the sugar (large crystal) would hold up better, but again, 5 hours is a long time for berries, and I'd worry about them weeping, things like cherries, plums, grapes and apricots would be ok though. You might be better off not sugaring the berries at all, maybe give customer a container of sugar to sprinkle over the berries right before presenting cake? Or not use berries.

overindulged Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 5

they requested lemon cake with BC, so no go on the ganache (which would be delish though!)

they requested red and green grapes, blackberries, orange slices, maybe small plums. So the blackberries are the only ones I'd have to worry about "weeping". Good call on giving them extra sugar.

prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 5

Which kind of BC are you using? American, IMBC, SMBC, French? Those cookies are pretty firm. They'd prob hold up okay as long as the cake's not in the fridge. I did a choc cake with choc IMBC with those on for my DH's 30th b'day cake and the cookies stayed fairly crisp for several days after the party. One note of caution: It took many more cans of the cookies to do the 9" round layer of cake than I anticipated because a lot of them were broken in the can! So buy plenty of the cookies. You can always return unopened cans to the store.

I'd put the black berries on top of the other fruit after the sugar's set on the fruit and I'd put them on there dry. Then the customer can sprinkle sugar over the blackberries just before presentation. Although the contrast of 1 non sugared item with the sugared ones would look neat IMHO.

overindulged Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 5

I'm using regular shortening based BC, normally I use BC as filling but its going to be blackberry preserves as filling. Wouldn't that need to be refrigerated? Sorry I've got so many questions, I love to decorate with fondant as a hobby, but I'll be the first to admit I don't have the culinary knowledge to do this full time! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%