How Would You Sugar This Edge?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 9:02pm by __Jamie__

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 9

I made a margarita glass out of poured sugar (I'm letting it set and cool, and since I'm on call at the hospital tonight, will not be working on it again until tomorrow afternoon) ... and since it's my first sugar work ever, I'm walking on eggshells around this thing. I want to put sugar on the edge of the glass to make a good margarita glass ... how would you go about sticking the sugar to the glass? Should I just boil up some more sugar and use that as adhesive? I'd be wary of melting the edge of my glass with warm sugar ... but I can really use RI or other adhesives with water in them, right? Also, am I okay to fill the thing with fondant (as margarita)? Because, again, my guess is that I couldn't do that with buttercream or RI, since they both have a small amount of liquid, right? (RI more than BC, I know) ... any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Emi.

8 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 9

Clear piping gel. And do it at the last possible moment to avoid and humidity issues or knocking of sugar off of your glass.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 9

I've even used light corn syrup/vodka or corn syrup/lemon extract, mixed equal parts, just brush it on the rim and sprinkle the sugar crystals on while it's still wet/sticky. It dries hard.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 9

Oh yeah...cory syrup, yep!

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 9

Corn that is. Lol.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 9

or cory could work too! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 9

ha!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks! And as far as filling with margarita? ...

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 9

More corn syrup or piping gel! Tinted green and made cloudy looking? Oh...whip it in the mixer with the whisk....put a lot of bubbles into it. I think that could work...if I did that, I'd do it at the last possible minute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%