Funny Wedding Cake Story

Decorating By cakemaker30 Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 10:43am by cakemaker30

cakemaker30 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 11

I delivered a wedding cake this past Saturday that was 3 separated tiers over a fountain with stacked cakes on either side and stairs going to them. I got the venue and started putting the cake together and the one lady goes oh wow they have a fountain. Then I busted out the stairs and she goes OMG they got stairs too. They went the whole route didn't they? We haven't had a cake like that in here forever. She then proceeds to tell me that this is the first cake all year that even had a fountain. I know they're out of style, but that's what the bride wantedicon_smile.gif I just thought it was funny that even the venue staff knew that. icon_lol.gif

10 replies
Rylan Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 11

Hehehe!

prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 11

Yeah, one of my cousins had that kind of cake for her 2nd wedding 5 years ago (I didn't attend as I got the freakin' email invite a week before the event which was 8 hours away). I LOL'd when I saw the photos. She even had the bridesmaid and groomsmen figures on the stairs! icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 11

The brides around here are having flashbacks to their parents wedding cakes and wanting cakes like their parents. Is this some new list of ideas out there? To make your parents feel special, to incorporate traditions or whatever, get a cake like your parents? I had someone ask me to make a cake from the movie, "The Wedding Singer" that was like that. The first date was a movie night at a friends house and they watched it and found it to be "appropriate".

BARBARAJEAN Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 11

Well keep on laughing folks. I have done 3 of them this year....I just keep the old plastic set out just in case. Maybe they are back and no one told us.

cakemaker30 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 11

Luckily she didn't request the bridesmaids and groomsmen on the stairs, but I think that was just because she didn't know it was an option or she would have icon_lol.gif I don't mind doing them at all, but they are definitely a flashback.

auntginn Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 11

Those cakes are still very popular down here in Sunny So. CA. In L.A. no less, but not for weddings, for quincenierra's. they have never gone out of style. We usually get 1 -2 request per month. And yes they want all the dolls and fru-fru on it.

How's that for laughs

prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 11

Well, I don't own that stuff, so if someone requested it form me, I'd have to go purchase it. Fortunately, Wilton still sells all that plastic!

Hey, it's $$$$, so I'd do it, and laugh all the way to the bank. icon_wink.gif But it really isn't my personal taste. I personally don't even like bride and groom toppers! When my aunt had her 3rd! wedding, I did her cake and the topper she got was so heavy, I had to put extra support in the top tier to hold it. I was so worried that the topper was gonna squish the cake! I don't have that cake in my photos, cause that was back before I had a digital camera.

At least with all that stuff on a cake, it's easier to hide flaws. The understated clean cakes with perfect icing are actually harder to pull off than cakes where they're covered in piping and other distractions! icon_biggrin.gif

terrig007 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Well, I don't own that stuff, so if someone requested it form me, I'd have to go purchase it. Fortunately, Wilton still sells all that plastic!

Hey, it's $$$$, so I'd do it, and laugh all the way to the bank. icon_wink.gif But it really isn't my personal taste. I personally don't even like bride and groom toppers! When my aunt had her 3rd! wedding, I did her cake and the topper she got was so heavy, I had to put extra support in the top tier to hold it. I was so worried that the topper was gonna squish the cake! I don't have that cake in my photos, cause that was back before I had a digital camera.

At least with all that stuff on a cake, it's easier to hide flaws. The understated clean cakes with perfect icing are actually harder to pull off than cakes where they're covered in piping and other distractions! icon_biggrin.gif

My friend from high school had a daughter that recently got married. She wanted that cake as well. Her new in-laws had it as did Kathy & Dave when they got married 24 years ago. They actually had a hard time finding someone to make it. They finally got the baker for the groom's parents cake daughter and grand-daughter to make it. They charged 2K for it & they were happy to pay it.
I had a lot of friends get married right out of high school and college and probably 95% had that cake. I still have the bridesmaids from the weddings I was in that stood on those stairs.
I guess everything that is old is new again.

indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 11

I've done two in the last 3 months. Had a bride walk in today and she wants fountains/stairs, plus the bride I had last week who wants fountains/stairs.

These were out? icon_confused.gif No kidding? Huh!

I'll admit I'm not doing one every single weekend like I did when I first got started, but I do them often enough that I own 2 fountains "just in case".

cakemaker30 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:43am
post #11 of 11

I get requests for them and I didn't really think they were out of style around here either, but I always read on here about how people said they were out of style so I thought it was funny when the woman at the reception hall commented that she hadn't seen one in awhile and she thought brides didn't do them anymore icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%