Fondant Issues Please Help! I'm Desperate!! (Long Sry)

Decorating By AmandaKate Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm by Texas_Rose

AmandaKate Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all!

So I had my first experience with MMF a few weeks ago icon_confused.gif It was not good......I've never been more frustrated in my life!!!! icon_mad.gif It kept sticking to my hands and the table i was rolling it out on.....and trust me.......i ended up using almost an entire bag of powdered sugar on my workspace......but when I rolled out the fondant it just kept sticking.......

I made it exactly how the recipe said, and it sat in the fridge for about 4 hours......

I would roll it out, then turn it to make sure it wasn't sticking and roll it some more.....and then i would decide that it needed to be just a little bit bigger.....and on the last roll out.....patches of it would end up sticking......despite the fact that i kept lifting it up and putting more and more powdered sugar under it.......

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN!?!?!??!??!?! The only thing I can think of was that maybe it was melting??? I live in upstate NY and it might have been around 70 out that day.....not extremely hot.....but warm enough.....

If it was melting......what can I do to prevent this???? I have a bridal shower cake that I'm making in a few weeks with, of course, white fondant and I don't want to spend an hour and a half rolling out the fondant over and over again just for one tier......

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me what I did wrong.....or what I should be doing!!

I pray to your wisdom for advise!!!! icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

8 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 9

Let the fondant rest overnight, not just for 4 hours.

Roll it out on crisco or with cornstarch instead of powdered sugar. Really helps with sticking.

And don't stress...the first time I ever tried fondant it stuck so bad that I never did get the cake covered with it. Then I tried rolling it on crisco when I did the next cake and I was amazed at how well it worked. Now I mostly use cornstarch because it gives a smoother finish, but if I'm having a bad fondant day I will still use crisco.

At 70 degrees it wasn't melting...humidity can affect it though.

elvis Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 9

I agree, crisco greased on your hands and workspace will make a world of difference.

AmandaKate Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 9

OK! I kept reading conflicting things about using crisco or powdered sugar to "grease/powder" your hands and work surface and I ended up choosing the powdered sugar because that's what they used in a youtube fondant tutorial that i watched.....

after you cover a cake with fondant do you refridgerate it??? I'm trying to plan out how far in advance I can do each step of making the cake icon_rolleyes.gif

moxey2000 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 9

Let the fondant rest on the counter, not in the fridge. When you take it out of the fridge it will sweat and then no amount of PS or Crisco will help. It should be room temp when you roll it out.
I don't like to use PS to roll out with because it's hard to clean all that sugar up and then I have to deal with ants.
I don't like to use Crisco to roll out because it makes it too slippery and it pulls easily.
I use corn starch in a shaker (the big round aluminum ones you can get in the housewares section). It makes the fondant easy to roll out and it only takes a little. Also, invest in a bench scraper which you can use if you have a spot that sticks. Keep practicing, you'll get it!

cupcakelady64 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 9

most would say do not refridgerate fondant. It causes condensation and then it melts.

I leave mine room temp.

AmandaKate Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 9

how long do you let it "sit" if you leave it out at room temp before you start working with it?

cupcakelady64 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 9

Sorry, I misunderstood you. To let it rest, I put it in the fridge, usually overnight if possible, and then when I use it on the cake, I do not refridgerate the finished cake.

But letting it set seems to be a priority. I had the sticky trouble too. Crisco is a BIG TIME saver!! lol

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 9

Let it sit out overnight, or you really can put it in the fridge. Just let it warm to room temp completely before you start working with it. I store leftover MMF in the freezer too and it works fine when it's thawed out.

I always steered clear of putting my fondant-covered cakes in the fridge, but then when I did my daughter's birthday cake I went ahead and put it in the fridge because the flavor she wanted needed refrigeration, and I figured I'd do it as a test cake. I learned that it is a lot easier to cover a cold cake than a warm wiggly one. Also, the cake did not sweat at all when I took it out to display at the party. It was sitting out for probably an hour and a half before it was cut, and had no condensation at all on it. (I was running the air conditioner, if you don't usually then you might have condensation issues).

Quote by @%username% on %date%