How Is This Effect Achieved?

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 1:41am by cylstrial

CakeInfatuation Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 7

How do you do the ruffle on the bottom tier of the cake?

I would guess you take a long piece that you have rolled out and just kind of ruffle it around making sure you have gathers at the top and then covering the top edge with the next layer. But... is there a better way or a better technique?

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 7

I did something similar before, except with the bottom edge tucked underneath, and I did it with sections rather than one long piece. You can hide the seams under the folds really easily.

prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 7

PM the person who did the cake, s/he'll probably be glad to give you instructions!

sweetflowers Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 7

I've done this, it's covered in Kerry Vincent's "Romantic Cakes" book. You do it in sections because one long piece will be way too hard to handle. As the previous poster said, it's really easy to hide the sections because the folds overlap each other. The rest is pretty much at you say.

indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 7

it's definitely lots of pieces, not one long piece.

pattycakescookies Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 7

It like making vertical swags, using multiple pieces around the cake as you go. I recently did one (its in my photos). Its fairly easy to do. HTH.

cylstrial Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #7 of 7

Having also made a few cakes like that, I would recommend that you use a cake board (the size of the tier ontop of the drapy tier) and then outline it with an exacto knife. That way you can see the line and not go past it.

What happened to me was that I kept laying the fondant on top and it was laying where the next tier should lay. I had to take a knife and cut all of the fondant out of the way, stick the new tier down, cut some more, etc. So you want to make sure that it's completelyout of the way.

I hope this makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%