How To Make A F 18 Hornet Plane Cake (Blue Angel)

Decorating By PTBUGZY1 Updated 1 Apr 2015 , 5:35am by Lisa_ATUCakes

PTBUGZY1 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 5

I've been asked to make a F18 hornet (blue angel) cake for a boys 9th bday, I'm not to sure where to start.
should I use gumpaste for the wings?
are there any templates out there? (I can't draw to save my life)
any help would be much appreciated. thanks

4 replies
Doug Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 5
  • get photos....lots of them
    • look for dead-on profiles and straight down and straight up from below
    • enlarge to size of cake and cut them up to make templates for all the details and markings (basic shape too!)

• body is all cake

• wings can be cake carved or gumpaste built around skewers or could be foam core covered with gumpaste or fondant.

• trick will be to support cake -- for this you will want to use a masonite board cut to shape of plane which will allow
    • making it look like standing on own wheels OR
    • by using a variation of the floating tier stand (home made from copper tubing and the like) could make it look like flying through air at an angle with the tubing being hidden by a combo of clouds and vapor trail

• outline drawing of hornet (blue angles style) attached to assit

• LL

PTBUGZY1 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Doug your the best.
Not sure I'm at the stage of copper piping (amateur here)
Your info and template is very helpful. thanks icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

pregu2 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 5

I was going to do a cake like this but didn't know how to do it. So thanks for your help. I would love to see your pictures PTBUGZY1 once you have completed it.

Lisa_ATUCakes Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 5:35am
post #5 of 5

One option is to make the F18, or any other vehicle for that matter, in a base of cake rather than a structure. You could then just fondant/buttercream the part that isn't part of the plane in black, still have the extra cake, and most importantly, not need the extra structure. Great for those who don't want to have to go through the entire "internal structure" thing for cakes like this. I know it's too late for your cake from 2009, but perhaps it will help someone else.

All the Best,

All Tiered Up Cakes

http://ALLTIEREDUPCAKES.COM

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%