Very Nervous...please Help!

Decorating By Megabot Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 6:32pm by Mark-Mexicano

Megabot Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 7

I'm a novice cake maker and I'm doing my first wedding cake this week. I am planning on doing four tiers covered with fondant, bases wrapped with green ribbon and the top of each tiers covered with cascading gumpaste flowers. Ok so here are my questions...
I wanted to make the gumpaste flowers sparkly, any ideas?
I am really nervous about the drive, should I assemble on site or at home?
I was planning on doing dowels, how many do I need for each layer (12,10,8,6)
Any other help or suggestions with transporting? I've heard of SPS but cant open the file on the link everyone posts and not sure I really understand it. I tried to look for it on a site that sells it but I wasn't sure if I was looking at the correct thing and now I don't know if I have time to get it..

Help please!!!

6 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 7

Here is SPS:

And instructions are a sticky at the top of the How Do I forum, posted by Leahs.

Question real quick...are you going to make your tiers 4" tall, like standard wedding cakes (all cake for that matter), cause I notice in your pics, that your cakes look like they are one layer tall, or about 1.5 to 2" tall without the icing.

This is a massive undertaking. Have you done a tiered cake before?

Yes, trasport unstacked if you don't get SPS.

Are you making the GP flowers? You can spray them with an airbrush with pearl sheen, or take a blush brush (new clean and dry) and dust dry sparkly luster dust on them.

I know some more helpful people will come along too. That's all I can tackle at the moment.

tootie0809 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 7

I just did my first 4-tier wedding cake a couple weekends ago. I did use SPS (it's awesome!), but even with that support system, I was not going to transport the cake fully assembled, so I stacked the bottom 2 tiers and then had the top 2 tiers each in a separate box and transported it that way. Then when I got to the venue, I just stacked the top 2 tiers on the bottom 2. It was quick and easy and much less stressful that transporting a fully assembled 4-tier cake. I highly recommend SPS. It's easy to use and very sturdy. Good luck!

Amylou Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 7

I wanted to make the gumpaste flowers sparkly, any ideas?

Use petal or luster dust. Best way IMO is to brush on dry and use the steam of a kettle of boiling water to get the shine. Just put the dusted flower in the steam for several seconds and then let dry.

I am really nervous about the drive, should I assemble on site or at home?

If you have the time to assemble on site and you are nervous about the drive, then assemble there. Otherwise, dowels in each tier and one throught the whole cake can work...with a careful drive.

I was planning on doing dowels, how many do I need for each layer (12,10,8,6)

I would put a center and 6-8 dowels in the 12 and 10", and a center with 6 dowels in the 8". Then sharpen a long dowel the size of all tiers and drive it through all the cakes to hold everything together. I haven't used the s.p.s system.

GL79 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 7

Alot of people like to use the SPS system from Global Sugar Art, and not Wilton brand. I've used both, the one from GSA I had to transport and the Wilton brand I didn't. The only difference I found was that Wilton seperator plates does not have that peg in the middle of the plate. I hope you can purchase any of those brands, you don't need dowels for this system. Just remember to take extra frosting with you incase you need to retouch.

Megabot Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 7

Jamie-I am making two cakes in 2" pans for each tier, so each layer will be about 4" inch tall. I've done a few tiered cakes and I did a 4 tier practice run last week that went well..but I didn't transport it anywhere. I am making the GP flowers.

Mark-Mexicano Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 7

hey megabot i did a 5 tier bout a month ago (its in my picts) i used the wilton plastic dowels and it worked just fine if ur going to assemble on site (which is what i would recomend) dowel the cakes at home and then wen you get there u can just stack them and put a center dowel thru the whole cake and volia! i would put 5 plastic dowels in the 12in and 4 in all the others..

Quote by @%username% on %date%